Secret plane maker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks quite nice, but for rhat sort of money, I'd definately be buying a Sauer and Steiner, which in my mind are on par with Karl holtey as being the best on the planet.

I wonder who this secret maker is?

Cheers

Aled

The guy sounds like an A1 top notch pillock of the highest order. I guess he's trying to whip up a bit of mystery, etc.

I truly hope it doesn't sell, as shiny as it looks.

wizer":2y967yl2 said:
The guy sounds like an A1 top notch pillock of the highest order. I guess he's trying to whip up a bit of mystery, etc.

That's what I was thinking also, but didn't want to air my views quite so fervently. I hoped that someone would though.

Cheers

Aled

wizer":1fsle2rj said:
The guy sounds like an A1 top notch pillock of the highest order. .

dont beat about the bush tom - say what you really feel ;)

what i'd take from the "maker will remain secret" is that there is a flaming great mark up between what hes paying the maker and what hes hoping to get for it - hence his "trying to make a buck" comment , and he doesnt want any likely lads like us contacting the maker and buying direct or resseling and under cutting him.

also would you pay £1500 notes for a plane from someone who only ever made 12 (so far) , erm not me .. if i had that kind of cash to spend on planes (flying pigs etc) i'd buy a few LNs , cliftons or veritas products - you could get a whole load of shiny plane goodness for that money including a fabled number 8 (490 boys in the new axminster catalogue)

I must be in a bad mood, I even went as far as emailing him :shock: :lol:

wizer":47315lyw said:
I must be in a bad mood, I even went as far as emailing him .....

.... and now you are putting the BRM on the market to fund the purchase of this exclusive plane :) ;) :lol:

The seller is Peter Niederber, a well known seller of handplanes and a member of the Old Tools List. In my opinion he tends to sell at the upper end of the price list, but then he does also tend to offer the rarer end of the spectrum.

Here are some others of Peters: http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/Classifieds-2.htm

I do think, however, that this eBay listing has poor strategy all over it. Whom on Earth is he going to convince with this patter? Certainly no one knowledgable and no one that is going to casually fork over two grand!

The lever cap knob looks familiar. I suspect it was made for the planemaker by Johnny Kleso, who also supplies Ron Brese. I have no idea, however, whom the planemaker might be. I would prbably be on safe ground to say that it is likely someone who is not a professional planemaker, but who has the skills to do the work very competently (albeit that the iron is retreaded). However, without any recognised name, who would plonk down even a quarter of the money being asked?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well, keeping in the spirit of things, I'd like to offer another rare plane, the maker of which I must keep a secret as I'd like to make big bucks on this one. Shall we start the bidding at £500........ :twisted:

no4.jpg

Philly :lol:

Philly":my7lodcg said:
Well, keeping in the spirit of things, I'd like to offer another rare plane, the maker of which I must keep a secret as I'd like to make big bucks on this one. Shall we start the bidding at £500........ :twisted:

no4.jpg

Philly :lol:

I think you missed a decimal place our of your post philly - presumably you meant £5.00 :D

Apart from him coming across as an silly person, who would pay that price for a new plane if you didn't know a few basic facts like the maker?

Philly I think you should list one of your coffin smoothers, without your initials, and a big starting price, you might be missing a trick here :idea: :D

Philly, yours does look in good nick, in fact it looks to be un-used, and you have not messed with the blade. :)

Back