Secret nailing solid oak flooring....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
There seems to be a couple of different gizmo's for doing this on the market and as I have not had to do this sort of job before was looking for any recommendation .....

Its going to be appx 75 square meters using 140mm boards :roll:

Cheers
Andy

Hiring or buying? I've used the Porta-Nailer - did what it said on the tin. You do need to be positive when whacking the nail in...same goes for all the rest. I'd guess.

What substrate are the boards going onto?

make sure you know there are no pipes or cables underneat!

Hi I have a porta nailer for sale if your interested only used for one flooring job I did let me know if your interested Dave

RogerS":3u91m1ae said:
Hiring or buying? I've used the Porta-Nailer - did what it said on the tin. You do need to be positive when whacking the nail in...same goes for all the rest. I'd guess.

What substrate are the boards going onto?

make sure you know there are no pipes or cables underneat!

Dare say it will be buying...

When you say positive does that mean I have just the one strike aS the piston loads with another fastener preventing me hitting the original again??

Substate is part old floor (chipboard) and the probably a tanalised lath screwed to new concrete...
.........................................................................................................
Hi I have a porta nailer for sale if your interested only used for one flooring job I did let me know if your interested Dave

Dave will have to talk to you :wink:

Cheers both

Andy

Andy,

What he means is you gotta give it a good whack but if you dont, dont worry as you just hit it again. I have used porta nailers and they are good and dont take long to learn. Just make sure you position it right when you line it up with the edge of the board then put your foot on it so it doesnt move then whack the piston, it wont release the piston until the nail is fully driven. You can get air powered ones to if you have a compressor.

I found when using it that I could get the situation where the piston released but the nail hadn't been rammed home properly. A dot punch soon sorts it but a bit of a faff.

The other alternative is to use Tongue-Tite screws...takes longer though.

I laid about 25 sq m of oak flooring last year (120mm boards) and did it pretty easily without a nail gun. I just drilled (quite tight) clearance holes through the boards at 45 degrees every 200mm or so then banged the nails in and used a nail punch to lose the heads. The nailing would probably have been a bit quicker with a gun, but the time spent finding one, buying it, learning to use it, probably wrecking a few boards as I got used to it etc would certainly not have been recouped. Compared with the time spent taking the old floor covering up, measuring and cutting the boards, doing the skirting boards etc the actual nailing time was pretty trivial.

If your going to be laying loads of floors I can see the need for one, but if this is just a one off project, frankly I wouldn't bother.

Porta nailer def the way to go. I laid a load of reclaim maple strip floor in my house with one. That is after using a compressed air brad nailer for one room and then having to take it up, debrad ........... cos it squeeked so much. Should have used the proper tool first time.....doh!

Back