Secret drawers and compartments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making a couple of projects in the next few months into which I want to incorporate a secret drawer or compartment.

While I think I can design one into each without a massive headache I wondered if anyone knew of a reference book which gave more than one example.

I've tried searching amazon and google but no luck (I know there are better search engine experts than me!) I have found individual examples this way but I'm wondering if somebody has compiled this sort of thing and published it.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I don't know of a book, or at least which Taunton book they might be published in, but there are two articles from FWW that might be helpful. The first is "Secret Compartments; A furnituremaker's cache box" by Chris Becksvoort (Feb 1989)and the other "Secret Spaces + A gallery of secrets"
by Mark Schofield (December 2002).

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf - I've got the 2002 one. I'll see whether I can get hold of the older one.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I've seen the question asked often enough without a real source being offered in reply that I could believe it would make a nice book. Either a coffee table picture book of all the examples that are extant and capable of being photographed and/or a book for the Taunton series showing how to design/make the things.

Hi Tim,
Whilst hardly the definitive treatise on the subject, I did a (very) brief article in GW 157, Feb 2005, it might add to your pool of ideas.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve - I've read it and helpful it is too. The trouble is as Chris says there are lots of articles out there (most seem to be languishing in various mags or as afterthoughts in books) but not one book on the subject!

On another point, why is it that every writer of books on woodworking, cabinetmaking, shed building etc thinks it is acceptable to take the first 20% or so describing the tools!! Drives me nuts.

Cheers

Tim

Steve":iynmuihm said:
tim wrote:
Drives me nuts.

as the Scotsman said to the the sassenach enquiring about the steering wheel sticking out of his kilt...

Ah, there's no jokes like the old jokes.

I said 'info about secret compartments', not 'stuff that should be in Room 101!!' :shock: :lol:

T

tim":15gka3hv said:
On another point, why is it that every writer of books on woodworking, cabinetmaking, shed building etc thinks it is acceptable to take the first 20% or so describing the tools!! Drives me nuts.

Cheers

Tim

Why would you prefer it at the end of the novel? :lol:

Latest posts

Back