Secret Dovetails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever done a secret dovetail, and kept it a secret?

If I had gone to all that effort I think I would tell everyone that looked at it that "its not just a simple mitre you know". I would probably keep photos too, just in case anyone wasn't sure what I meant.

Just something to think about on a Friday afternoon.

Cheers

Stuart

Not done any secret dovetails yet, but i'm make damn sure that people knew they were secret dovetails. :lol:

Matt.

Yes, I have cut secret mitre dovetails, but a long time ago.
Back in school when doing my A level woodwork back in the late '60's.
Have been looking around for a side rebate plane which is handy for the finishing shavings on the mitre, but not found one yet.
I do hand cut lots of lap dovetails, might try the secret one day again.
Shame they stopped the A level in Woodwork years ago, but then, what is the qualification worth in career terms ?

Stefan

stefan szoka":3n8f4p64 said:
Shame they stopped the A level in Woodwork years ago, but then, what is the qualification worth in career terms ?

Do they still do woodwork in schools these days ?? :shock:......"A"level or otherwise

The reason i ask is that as a joiner looking for an apprentice......its proving rather difficult finding someone who atleast has a vague idea what the job is about :?

Stuart,
I have done but only on test pieces to understand how they were done....never put them into practice on a project.

Stefan
Interesting what you said about 'A' levels.......I started back college yesterday to update my engineering skills and the workshop was right next door to the woodwork shop.....I nipped in to have a look and talk with the lecturers and was pretty agast at what i saw.
The lecturers well lecturer was firstly on his own trying to look after 18 or so students around the 16 year old mark. He could barely turn his head and they were throwing things around ie chisels....he said he darent let them use any machinery for fear of the college being sued he has to run round and use the equipement for them. the planes and chisels were in an unbelievably bad condition if not scrap...marking tools squares etc were just rubbish...most of them were actually made by former students andwere apalling. yet they have the most up to date machinery and dust extraction system which must have run into the thousands.
I couldnt help but wonder how they are going to learn.......Has society gone overboard with HSE regs or the college cant find lecturers or the lawyers to blame for a sue society...what is this nation coming too
The engineering wasnt much better.....no-one wants to learn the art of making...they all seem to want to let computers do everything for them.
I am building a cnc but i know all the ins and outs of what how and why it works....most of them in fact all of them couldnt even read a micrometer.

just having a bad engine day....need to learn to convert my inch mic to mm instead of trying to work in both and making a complete a** of myself

Ian

Stuart,
I used secret mitred dovetails in this box. You can see the mitre on the left hand side in the picture, the other was yet to be done at this stage.

Stefan,
I found that a plane was not a good way to make the mitre and preferred to use a long paring chisel.

box03.sized.jpg

Nailer":enw1zqh9 said:
Do they still do woodwork in schools these days ?? :shock:......"A"level or otherwise

The reason i ask is that as a joiner looking for an apprentice......its proving rather difficult finding someone who atleast has a vague idea what the job is about :?

My son is 15,they don't do "woodwork" as a subject - it all comes under the general subject of "technology".
They have metalwork rooms,where they are allowed to do brazing,but not use the forge.
They have woodwork rooms,but are not allowed to use the bandsaw/lathe etc. - the teacher has to do it all for them :shock:

So no,they don't really teach anyone anything useful.
And yes,Health and Safety has stopped most of it (so I don't know how anyone is supposed to learn)

The reason i ask is that as a joiner looking for an apprentice......its proving rather difficult finding someone who atleast has a vague idea what the job is about :

will you take a 47 year old appentice :lol: (hammer)

martyn

martyn2":3q3y5ebv said:
will you take a 47 year old appentice :lol: (hammer)

martyn

:lol: :lol:

At the rate it's going it.......it could be a possibility :p

Pay starts at £125 a week though.......not bad considering i started on £25 a week :shock:

How times have changed......

£25 quid a week and i bet it was a five day week ,i started as a butchers boy in 1960 for ten bob for 5 1/2 days the half day was on the wednesday 8 till 4 you young wipper snappers dont know the day your born. :wink: :wink: :D

frank

Back