Second time around

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Always wanted time on me hands...

IMG_0100.JPG

Inspired by a turner in the US (http://www.hoistman.com/HoistMan/WatchTurn.html)

I used a chuck for all the holding..., the wood is burr Yew

Edit... just xperimenting...

Thanks very much Graham, SWMBO saw the picture and wants me to make one for her.

It is rather good!!!
Is it made with one of those kits or did you use an old watch? I've seen kits for clocks but not watches.

Thanks for the compliments folks ... it was a small piece of burr (80 x 200 x 18mm) just enough to make three small blanks from that had been lurking for several years... knew it would come in useful one day :wink:

In the first attempt I wish I'd taken my own sage advice :oops: and mounted it in compression... expansion mode was just enough to weaken the micro cracks and the piece flew off into the distance :lol:

The second attempt was also mounted in expansion but with the tailstock for support... enabled a small spiggot to be formed. made the recess for the watch insert, turned the outside and front, sanded and treated with Chestnut's melamine.

reverse chucked using the insert recess (just enough expansion for a friction hold!!!) turned and polished the back. Just a small flat sanded on the outer rim, 3.5mm hole drilled and the coupler screwed in... added watch insert and the job was a good'un.

The insert and coupler were bought from http://www.craftmaterialsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

They're currently waiting for stocks of the couplers from the US... there are other suppliers out there but Everglades gave good service.

Just need to make a 'D' ring in brass... I know I have some suitable brass rod somewhere :roll:

I have a 60mm insert that's been lurking waiting for the right project so the next one will be jumbo size... I'll have to make the couipler from brass rod 'cos the commercially available ones are too small... another round tuit :lol:

Thanks Niel, Graham emailed me and I sent him the link also. That is some spam blocker ya got here. LOL I see my sig line don't show either.

graham, that is one nice watch, i think anyone would be proud to wear that. like pete said i knew they did clock parts but not for watches =D>

Graham.
That's a nice job. :)
Love the colour of the Burr Yew.
Is that it's natural colour :?: or as the finish turned it that colour. :?:
Paul.J.

Is that it's natural colour or as the finish turned it that colour.
Paul.J.

It's a shade or two darker than the natural when a clear finish is applied... if you want to check what the colour may be, wet your finger and rub the wood :wink:
The pic was taken with a Canon A410 using the inbuilt filter for tungsten lighting... with a piece of tissue draped over the flash to minimise flare.

Dan thanks for the link, both the e-mail and here... my search had failed to find those doc hangers :roll: ... (Thanks for unblocking it Neil)

No, I'm not going to make this into a long thread (this time :lol: )

just wanted to see if a title change was possible....

oldsoke":377mva08 said:
just wanted to see if a title change was possible....

Obviously it was but I've lost the picture, whats the matter can't you find where you put it :lol:

As if we believe the "just experimenting" bit. :roll:

Hi Graham. Only adding my post to extend this thread, wish I could see the photo, but 'it ain't there'.

Viva la long thread.

Wot picture :? it was there the last time I was here...

Anyone else into recycling :lol:

No, don't answer that, this has served its purpose...

As the seamstress said (and every housewife knows) threads should not be pulled otherwise the whole thing will come apart :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back