Second project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntec4

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Well I have been told to not go back to lurkin. So I completed (almost) my first project(s) this weekend. That is if you don't count the bench I built first.

I wanted to try making something from hardwood and doing some dovetails and a few other joints. So I made a couple of little boxes for putting countersink bits and bit holders etc in.

2005_1204_125254_JPG.jpg

I have not quite finished the oak box yet as I need to pick up some hinges and some sort of catch for the lid. I have not finished or sanded either of them yet. The finish you see is straight from the block plane.

Took me a while to get the dovetails fitting ok. Although I know that I can get them a bit tighter on my next project. The oak box has different joints on each corner, I know it looks a little odd but I need to try out different methods. It will only be used for screws and stuff anyway.

Some more pictures here if you care to look and make some comments, I could use some feedback.

Cheers
Lee.http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lee_harrison944/First project/index.htm

2005_1204_124708_JPG.jpg

:shock: Now come on First Project? Looks like youve been doing this for years!

Too posh for screws !

WiZeR":3tjfqa8z said:
:shock: Now come on First Project? Looks like youve been doing this for years!

Too posh for screws !

Thank you very much :eek:

the only thing I've done before is fit some skirting in the house this year. I started making my bench in September after getting some books from the library. I was looking for a new interest. I find it very relaxing after my day job :D

Lee.

If you're going to start posting pictures of projects like those and then claim to be a novice, you can go back to lurking again :p :) !

Seriously, they look good, especially for a newbie. Well done =D> .

Gill

Lee,

Looks like a very neat job - excellent for a first attempt!

In future you might wish to consider mortising the lid as well as the back for the hinges- this kind of hinge look much better in a mortice than surface mounted.

Good looking boxes;

how about this for a fastener.
boxfastenerw.jpg

underside of lid append a lug (wooden) that drops inside box. When the lid drops down drill a hole through front of box and lug and then have a peg that pushes through both pieces, then of course making your own wooden hinges puts you at the top of the league here. :wink:

waterhead37":316c35gc said:
Lee,

Looks like a very neat job - excellent for a first attempt!

In future you might wish to consider mortising the lid as well as the back for the hinges- this kind of hinge look much better in a mortice than surface mounted.
Yeah Agreed :)

Wish I'd done that, I do have a small gap at the back of the box. :(

Devonwwody,
Thanks for the suggestion with the hinges and the pin. I'll have a go at some hinges this week and let you know how I get on.
I have some small pieces of walnut left over from the base of the smaller box that might be enough for some hinges.

Cheers.

I was thinking about some danish oil for a bit of a finish. What does the wisdom of the forum think? Perhaps with some wax over the top?

syntec4":15b4rhp8 said:
I was thinking about some danish oil for a bit of a finish. What does the wisdom of the forum think? Perhaps with some wax over the top?

Have you been talking to Adam? :p :wink:

Sounds like and ideal finish to me.

<throws in towel and wonders if embroidery might have been a better bet>

Go back to lurkin' you 'orrible man - first projects like that give me very low self esteem. ](*,) :lol:

Cheers, Alf

They look great,

brings tears to my eyes after spending all saturday making an oak box only for it to all go wrong. Serves me right for rushing into projects without thinking them through properly first.

Keep up the excellant work, looking forward to seeing more.

Matt.

methinks that would have done very well in the competition we had awhile back.

Very nice

Andy

Latest posts

Back