Second-hand tablesaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

If you've got 3 phase laid on then Wadkin kit can't be beaten; it's made to last generations; Brooks I used to work for supplied the motors but on the old machines the 3 phase motors where usually fixed at 415V on "Star" The star connection buried in the windings; modern motors have a terminal block with the six wires so these can very easily be connected "Star" or "Delta". Over the years I've converted Wadkin machines (and others) from 3 phase to single phase using second hand motors with a new DOL starter but it's much too dangerous to do for a novice so I don't recommend it.

The saw bench I currently have I made myself and it's not a toy to play with; up to full speed at the press of the button; double belt drive and on 4 hp it won't take prisoners. It's just rise and fall with fine adjustment and it's definitely always fitted with a riving knife; the riving knife arranged to rise and fall so any trenching or rebates aren't a problem. I seldom need angled cuts but for these I have a Skilsaw and the bandsaw.

Kind regards, Colin.

Sawbench._0001.JPG

A pair of new SKF bearings and it's good as new. Bearings are cheap and not usually difficult to change.
Sawbench._0002.JPG

My home made saw bench; 4" depth of cut; 4hp on 240V single phase. Riving knife permanently fitted; the fence has been upgraded now it's 2" steel box section; it's accurate with bags of power.

Last edited:
I can recommend my Sedgwick TA315, I bought it second hand nearly 10 years ago and it’s been great, really solid, heavy and built to last. Mine is three-phase so can’t really comment on trying to plug
E8B96198-2422-4710-B586-6D0CA1A4D3E4.jpeg
it into a 13 amp socket, sorry.
Ian

Thank you for the recommendations and opinions guys; I think im going to look for a startrite tilt arbor for now. It seems many of the older "small" tablesaws looks and apparently run comparable. The only difference i can really see or find is the wadkin name commands a higher price and the startrite i could probably get in trade for my meddings

Back