Second generation water borne finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
Having experimented with WB finishes several times over the years, I have always disliked them for their cold and lifeless appearance when compared with my usual choices - shellac, pre-cat lacquer and, occasionally, oil based polyurethane. All of these are, of course, solvent based and therefore generally regarded as environmentally unfriendly. Even leaving this aside, they are to a greater or lesser extent, unpleasant to use and not easy to clean up after compared with WB finishes. One reaction to this has been the rise of hard wax oils such as Osmo which I know many people love, but not me. I find their opacity in the can translates into a deadening of lustre and "life" on the finished wood.

Against this background, I am intrigued by the so called second generation modified oil urethane finishes such as General Finishes Endurovar which are said to replicate the appearance of traditional oil based polyurethanes. Does anyone have experience of the GF product or equivalents from other manufacturers? If so, I would love to hear your opinions of them compared with the tradional finishes mentioned, both in the matter of appearance and also dufra bility and ease of application, whether sprayed or by hand. GF Endurovar is a pretty expensive product but, if it lives up to its claims, it or its equivalents could be the answer.

Jim

Back