Seasonal LN problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ham

Established Member
Reaction score
I popped into my workshop last night - picked up my bronze 102 and nearly got frost bite :lol: The temperature was around 5 C but the bronze felt more like -5 C. I'll have to make it a little heated store.

Cheers, David

How about electric blankets for planes instead of socks? :lol: It's the handle on my not-a-Nobex mitre saw that always kills me in the winter. Something about the way you have to hold it puts the cold metal right in the middle of the palm. Closely followed by the metal handles on the likes of the #78, #044 etc. Brrrrrrrrr. :deer

Cheers, Alf

David
I know as a matter of routine when REME Soldiers are working on vehicles in cold climates they will put on a pair of contact gloves before handling any metal parts, maybe you should put a pair of lightweight leather gloves for your workshop on you Christmas list.

Mike

You could always make a small highly insulated 'warm-box' to put any metal handed tools in - this is what I intend to do until i can get my workshop fully insulated and heated.

A box about 2 to 3' square double-lined with sheeps wool should keep it nice and toastie - this is where my metal planes (epsiecally my 102 LN) will be sleeping for the winter. I find the 'socks' don't work particular well.

this is where my metal planes (epsiecally my 102 LN) will be sleeping for the winter.

I thought that's when they're supposed to wake up!

Ike

I'll be checking on them each weekend to make sure they are still ok - can't let them hibernate without some attention.

Alf":2ug28dwz said:
How about electric blankets for planes instead of socks?

Speaking of plane socks, do they afford much protection?

Noel

Noel":2mim7h4m said:
Noel

I'd say yes. I don't run a heater that often in my workshop, and its not got a dehumidifier and my planes don't have rust. They do get used though which must help.

Adam

:D Lets take a tip from the birds and go south for winter :-k :? or move the workshop into the house :roll:

Martyn

Noel":323ehyu1 said:
Yes. But to be more specific, I haven't had any rust issues since getting them, but then the planes in question have also been in the tool chest with is lined with rust-inhibiting paper and has one of those anti-rust emitting tins of stuff. And the dehumidifier is on all the time too... (Paranoid? Moi? :roll: ) My main reason for getting them was to prevent the planes getting too dinged up in the hurly burly of the chest to be honest, and they work brilliantly. Actually, come to think of it the smallest planes live in kiddies socks (white, sports, 5 pairs for a quid or something daft) for the same ding prevention reasons and they haven't rusted either. They don't make children's socks anti-rust these days, do they? :-k

Cheers, Alf

frank":36ocjn5f said:
frank :shock: :shock: trying to visualize a sock to fit a 747 :-k

frank

It's called a Hangar :roll: you must have seen them at the airport.

Aaaah
It's times like this that I am glad my ancestors variously nicked a few baubles or, in a few cases, left deepest Lancashire and Sussex for a new life away from the old world.

Beej (who has said nothing about certain cricket gloating until now)

Back