Season of good will Not

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shady":3czu405a said:
Vinsurance... How many of us have actually and specifically covered our tools??

I raised my buildings cover by £5K, having realised the shed (workshop) was covered under this policy. Even though it cost under a £1k you never factor your own time in, so I reckoned this was a resonable estimate for replacement cost. I also doubled my house insurance cover :shock: , as I was in danger of being seriously underinsured, and as the difference in premium was negligible, decided it'd make a claim a lot smoother. I also checked whilst I was at it about quality of locks etc, but was told it merely had to be a locked shed, outbuilding or similar to be covered under normal contents. They also were happy for me to have my oxy-acetylene welding kit stored inside.

Adam

at the wood yard where I worked a few years ago we had a problem with people breaking in to steal tools from one of the buildings.

A large lump of metal was secured to a rope and fashioned onto the ceiling in such a way that the door caused it to swing at about chest level towards the door (there was of course a "dis-arming" procedure" :D )

one morning we came in to find an open door and a large pool of blood :? no body though.

shame that rafter came loose JUST as the crooks opened the door was`nt it ???? :D

people who steal are scum full stop!

the americans have the right idea for at least one thing..... the right to protect your own property.

steve

Newbie_Neil":ccyc87bk said:
Hi Adam

If you don't mind me asking, which company do you use?

Cheers
Neil

Direct Line for contents, for buildings its still with the mortgage company - which is Nationwide Buidling Society - I find their cover quite reasonable. If you go over £50K contents with Direclt Line, you must have an approved alarm fitted. I didn't hit this limit so was OK.

Adam

steve i like woodys idea fit a microwave in the van scum breakin scum cooked :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for all the good advice.Probably be best to take tools out of the van and leave them in the house over night ,bit of a hassle but i should be able to manage that for a week or 2.
At the moment the vans at the side of the house up against the workshop door and the German Sheperds on the other side.
Will get the van alarmed at some stage to go with the immobiliser and maybe a security light or 2 outside so they dont fall over and hurt themselves next time they visit. :twisted:
Some new replacements coming tomorrow Dewalt and Makita

Cheers Steve

Aragorn wrote:
Car Alarms? Does anyone pay attention to those things? Suppose you did hear one going off and saw a couple of guys hanging out the car window, what would you do?

admittedly some people do not take any notice of either car or house alarms, but you can bet that this sort of person has not had their house or their car stolen. Then there is the ignorant silly person that does not give a heck about their neighbor or their property. This sort of person usually changes his attitude when they come home one day to find his house wrecked and all of his childrens christmas presents stolen.

As for what i would do if i saw 2 guys hanging out of my cars window. Well 3 years ago after spending 2 years and £11,000 restoring a MK11 Jaguar i had it stolen 4 weeks after it was finished. The next day the police phoned to tell me that it had been found burnt out in the bottom of a quarry. They had looked there as this is one of the places that young joyriders set fire to the cars when they finish with them, the reason being the police will not find any evidence in a burnt out wreak. I was devastated. I had spent every weekend and some week nights for 2 years working on this car and it was my pride and joy. I could not belive that someone could do this. Some people will say that it is only a hunk of metal, but i and my family did and do not see it like that.
So if it was my car YES i would confront them. If it was a neighbors car then i would call the police or help the neighbor if he went to confront them.

Regards

Woody

Woody - I feel for you: people simply don't understand until it's whatever's closest to their heart.... This, coupled to a first career as an army officer, and 3 sons to raise, means that I now confront any and all examples of anti-social behaviour. Without coming over all 'preachy/aggresive', I have gradually become more and more convinced by the old line about 'for evil to triumph it is only necessary that good men do nothing'. This has led me into some unpleasant confrontations, but I will not allow these people to think they can get away with it...

Of course, being big and nasty helps too... :wink:

I have gradually become more and more convinced by the old line about 'for evil to triumph it is only necessary that good men do nothing'

there's a LOT to be said for Army training... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"Dear Santa, what we would all like for Christmas is a few more people with Shady's kind of backbone in the world..."

Damn straight! :twisted:

V.

Nice one Shady. unfortunally as Aragorn sadly states a lot of people will not even take any notice of a car alarm let alone get involved. It used to be the old excuse that there are a lot of false alarms but these days the alarms are so good that this does not happen often, unless it is a very cheap model, or it has not been set up properly.

So could luck to you mate i am sure with your attitude to these scumbags your friends and neighbors are glad to have you around.

Regards

Woody

Aragorn, it sure was. The insurance company paid out and i have restored a couple more cars since then (including another MK2) but none of this makes any difference when you think of all the hours, blood, sweet and tears i put into that car.
Some fool once said to me "But you got all your money back" Yes i did get it back, but what he could not understand is that i did a full body off restoration and a bare metal respray, and so except for the actual respray itself (which i farmed out to the pro's) i took every nut, bolt, and screw off the car and then put it all back together again.
Alright one day i would have sold it to fund the next restoration but at least then i would have been proud to see it being driven around.

To say i was pis--d of it an understatement, just ask my stepson Mike (or Mike C to other members) when he gets back from the US how cheesed off i was.

Anyway enough of that sobbing on the run up to Christmas.

Just to say that this is how i know a bit about car security systems. Every car i get is fitted with one.

Regards

Woody

well ppl, on a day trip to a Dive show in Utrecht I and my g/f where boarding a train in A'dam.When just as I was taking my seat in said train I and many others heard a woman scream out !.I looked up and saw a man taking out of the womans hands a laptop.I gave chase without thinking , ran 25 yards, cuaght the pipper as he was leaving the carriage,as I @ jumped@ him he threw the laptop away - no goods = no theft thinking. He tried to get away, but a swift kick in groin area stopped that :twisted:
Train guard wanted me and other helpers to let him go - his words were iirc - got the goods back no harm done (homer) :evil: and your stopping the train from leaving :evil:
Well to stop a shaggy dog story - the transport police finally came and cuffed him !
No thank you or anything from the woman - for saving her Apple TITANIUM laptop - but just a thank you from the police.
Just goes to show you - ppl will try to steal anything anywhere too :x

PS - MERRY CHRIMBO ALL !
HS back in a cold Amsterdam :(

HS, unbelievable, yet if you didn't do anything she would probably be the first one to scream that someone should of helped her.

Well done.

Dog that lock looks like it would stop all but the most determined thief. The thing is most of these thieves do not want to hang about (or make much noise) because they know that the longer they take to get into a car/van the more chance they have of being seen, and so with something as noticeable as this lock they are more likely to seek out easier prey. Most car thieves are opportunist cowards who don't want to pick on anything that will tax their brains.

Regards

Woody

I fitted two of them to the doors of my van, one top, the other on bottom. Pain in the backside if you're in a hurry or it's raining but better to be safe than sorry.

It doesn't help when companies openly sell lock picking equipment to the general public. Northern Tool UK do exactly that and somehow get away with it, see the following link: http://www.northerntooluk.com//product/ ... =0&h=5&g=4

It's the classic case of 'we are selling this item to those who will not (ha, ha) use it for any illegal purpose other than providing a way in when they are locked out'. Really, and my name is George Best :roll:

i guess the only way to prevent it happening is to not have any tools in the vehicle,
i make sure every night the tools come out of my car and into the outhouse.
it is a pain, but when i think about the value of goods there is sitting there
it seems silly to leave them there!
My dad who i work with has always done the same,
but one night when he was too tired, and left a few items in the back of the van,
you guessed it, gone straight away, luckily it was only a couple of hundreds worth, when it could have been alot more!

Latest posts

Back