searching this site/

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":2nfl9fzu said:
sunnybob":2nfl9fzu said:
......... that shouldnt deter the rest from enjoying a very demanding hobby.
I turned in my shotgun licence several years ago, only ever used it for vermin and food hunting.
Get to test my Rifle skills in Germany with Winchester and short barreled Enfield 303. (100 mtr. range.) one or twice a year. (Obviously not 2020)

And most of these to confirm I am still safe to handle them and can still keep them in the black.

I wouldn't have those nasty inanimate objects in my house. You have no idea when they might magically come to life and cause trouble.

MikeG.":3d9qb4xz said:
Suffolkboy":3d9qb4xz said:
A shotgun. Or any gun. Loaded or not being an inanimate object is never inherently dangerous. The person handling it however...

Boy, you've been reading too many American pro-gun sites. They're the people whose 2 year olds blow themselves to bits with daddy's "safe" loaded weapons. The Chicxulub meteor was just an inanimate object........

Sorry... This isn't puerile?

No. It's a simple explanation of the phrases "inanimate object" and "inherently dangerous" which you seemed to be struggling with.

inanimate
/ɪnˈanɪmət/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
not alive.
"inanimate objects like stones"
showing no sign of life; lifeless.
"he was completely inanimate and it was difficult to see if he was breathing"

It's not me that was struggling there.

MikeG.":2nuxfz9w said:
Sheesh.... :roll:

This is the level of debate this topic always sinks to within 5 minutes flat: puerile.

I quite like the American system of having weapons specifically for use by the people against the government, should the government ever exceed their limits. The irony of the USA having about the most corrupt, self-serving and thieving political class despite this is a joy to behold. All those guns, and not a single American prepared to stand up and make a difference, as expected of him in his constitution. (Actually, one did a while ago: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Co ... l_shooting)

CHJ":rw1xepyf said:
sunnybob":rw1xepyf said:
I turned in my shotgun licence several years ago, only ever used it for vermin and food hunting.
Get to test my Rifle skills in Germany with Winchester and short barreled Enfield 303. (100 mtr. range.) one or twice a year. (Obviously not 2020)

And most of these to confirm I am still safe to handle them and can still keep them in the black.

Chas, aint no way you still have them at home unless they are airsoft and I havent seen a SD&W 686 in sparklet power.

The 1911A1 looks interesting though, wouldnt mind more details on that one.

I'll see yours and raise;
me.JPG

Attachments

• me.JPG
    me.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 117
Suffolkboy":31zr4ix2 said:
inanimate
/ɪnˈanɪmət/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
not alive.
"inanimate objects like stones"
showing no sign of life; lifeless.
"he was completely inanimate and it was difficult to see if he was breathing"

It's not me that was struggling there.

Yes it is. You said that because something is inanimate it isn't dangerous. I gave you about the most devastating example of how ridiculous that assertion is........an inanimate object wiped out 90%+ of life on earth.

Look, I'm perfectly content for people like you to have guns. There are people culling deer in the woods around here regularly, the woodsman in the wood behind us regularly culls squirrels with a shotgun. I can even tolerate the hooray Henries blasting 50 pheasants out of the air for kicks, whilst only going home with 2.* Just don't make stupid arguments in support of your case, that's all. To say a gun is harmless because it is an inanimate object is just stupid.

*I tolerate this because it has led directly to the re-emergence of red kites and buzzards, and because the foxes now have an easy meal since the decline in rabbit numbers.

Comparing a gun to the comet that wiped out the dinosaurs is just a tad extreme. Guns need human input to function, they don't come to life magically and kill people. Negligent irresponsible people kill people. Surely you see my point.

Your chisels are the same. You wouldn't leave a chisel laying around for a two year old to pick up would you? Equally I don't expect that you will be blunting all your chisels in case they come to life and decide to stab themselves into someone's chest.

My reply was pretty blunt I will give you that but I find the modern attitude towards guns and the people that use them irritating especially organisations such as the BBC who paint firearms as evil tools of the devil just waiting to carry out atrocities. They are metal, plastic and wood.

The red kite's demise in the UK was largely down to the invention of covered sewers. It's resurgence in the UK is mostly down to reintroduction. I have climbed quite a few Kite and Buzzard nests, although there is an element of Pheasant and partridges amongst the prey remains often the largest composition is Jackdaw and Rook chicks if anything. When the nests are empty of prey remains they have been on invertebrates which is very often the case.

They are also very quick onto deer gralloch left in the woods which is always good to see.

sunnybob":170gv8ko said:
CHJ":170gv8ko said:
sunnybob":170gv8ko said:

Chas, aint no way you still have them at home unless they are airsoft and I havent seen a SD&W 686 in sparklet power.

They are all in Germany, all are individually gunsmith tuned for smooth handling and accuracy. No way are you likely to get anywhere near National competition standard with a stock guns. Many hours at loading testing is done with the powder types, loading etc. to stay within the rules and find the best burn rates etc.
for each gun to suit the owner.

I personally am not into the competition culture, just appreciate the quality of the engineering and am happy to discuss all the parameters involved with the accuracy involved with self loading to match each gun. The in-depth knowledge of powder manufacture, case details,caps bullet weight, form etc. I leave to others.

As someone that shoots on just half a dozen days a year I must admit to some self pride when managing to enter target results in the club books as good as many of the all year shooters, albeit cheating by using two hands at times because grips are not matched to my hands or natural wrist position.

Last year was able to up my rifle standard after having a cataract opp. which had been a frustration for a couple of years. No way can I shoot a rifle left handed with any sort of target accuracy.

Back in the late 1980's I put an advert for our local gun club on the county library "whats on" board.
in the early 90's I was refused outright to have that notice advertising a local sporting club that had been recognised by the local council.
In 1988 the local council gave the club a £5000 grant to modernise it to olympic standards, The sports council put in another 5K donation, and another 5K loan on the surety of 5 of the members, yet the library felt it was inciting mayhem,
Thats the height of political correctness stupidity.
And then along came blair.

I miss my handguns tremendously, my shotgun is a poor substitute in most respects.
But this is developing into another slagging match, I think trying to argue on line is almost as pointless as asking jacob to use a griipper. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh, MikeG.... another americanism for you. Watching a utube vid of american military bandsmen at a saxophone collection. The soldier declared himself as a
"sax-O- phone-ist"
Cracked me up anyway.

Chas, well done in getting the guns out. I didnt have the money to move mine. But the compensation bought me a large motorcycle so I returned to a previous life.
=D> =D> =D> =D>

PM sent.

Suffolkboy":3m9ba3dd said:
........The red kite's demise in the UK was largely down to the invention of covered sewers.

Hmmm. Most authorities say they were shot and poisoned out of existence by gamekeepers.

It's resurgence in the UK is mostly down to reintroduction.

Indeed, but there is no point reintroducing anything if it doesn't have a food source. As my daughter is a biologist working with birds, I do get to read research on quite a lot of bird related matters. I'll see if I can find the paper correlating the spread eastwards of kites (from their breeding / release centres) and buzzards (from the west country, Wales and Scotland) to the battery-farm type breeding and mass release of pheasants. Your sampling/ experience is interesting, but national studies check thousands of nests on a regular basis and actually measure and count and record.

By the way, our area has a wild red deer population. Have you ever come across those in the course of your work in East Anglia? It's reputed to be a truly wild herd, rather than a few escapees from a deer park or farm.

My daughter reported a large bird of prey over the Upton Heath on the northern side of Poole Harbour in 2018 when she was walking the dog. She has seen it on other occasions around the same time and others had reported the same on Facebook. Me and my wife have seen a Red Kite, again, about the same time whilst walking on Ackling Dyke, part of the old Roman road between Blandford Forum and Salisbury that runs parallel to the A354. It was definitely a Red Kite and not a Buzzard because it was larger and had a forked tail. I have not heard of any reports since though.

Nigel.

MikeG.":21dh7whg said:
Suffolkboy":21dh7whg said:
........The red kite's demise in the UK was largely down to the invention of covered sewers.

Hmmm. Most authorities say they were shot and poisoned out of existence by gamekeepers.

It's resurgence in the UK is mostly down to reintroduction.

Indeed, but there is no point reintroducing anything if it doesn't have a food source. As my daughter is a biologist working with birds, I do get to read research on quite a lot of bird related matters. I'll see if I can find the paper correlating the spread eastwards of kites (from their breeding / release centres) and buzzards (from the west country, Wales and Scotland) to the battery-farm type breeding and mass release of pheasants. Your sampling/ experience is interesting, but national studies check thousands of nests on a regular basis and actually measure and count and record.

By the way, our area has a wild red deer population. Have you ever come across those in the course of your work in East Anglia? It's reputed to be a truly wild herd, rather than a few escapees from a deer park or farm.

Shooting and poisoning will have had an effect but the loss of a major food source was massive in their decline. They are the original shitehawks for a reason.

My experience is definitely with the minority of nests on a national scale granted.

Yes I have worked with reds in East Anglia as well as elsewhere in the country. Wild and park escapees.

I slow down for kites most days Herts Essex borders on my way home from town. This is cutting down through the lanes. I even check my mirrors! Lifts my heart every time.
I could go M25 and A10 and shave 15 minutes off the journey but you are a long time dead as it is.
A bounce down the lanes surrounded by trees is just the ticket after working in London.
Got any jobs going Suffolkboy?

Bm101":37c45wmd said:
I slow down for kites most days Herts Essex borders on my way home from town. This is cutting down through the lanes. I even check my mirrors! Lifts my heart every time.
I could go M25 and A10 and shave 15 minutes off the journey but you are a long time dead as it is.
A bounce down the lanes surrounded by trees is just the ticket after working in London.
Got any jobs going Suffolkboy?

Haha. Not at the moment unfortunately.

Lovely birds to see definitely.

I'm a pretty keen window twitcher, have been since I was fairly young. In the last two years, I've seen more variety of wild birds than I've ever seen here before, quite often I'll look out the window and go "What the hell is that!?". We've got a couple of thrushes nearby which are nice to look at, if you get up really early in the morning you'll see a pair of bullfinches out there but you won't see them again for the rest of the day, I've seen a Yellowhammer a couple of times which from what I understand is a relatively rare sight, and I've heard a grasshopper warbler which absolutely had me stumped to what it was for days, sounded like an alarm clock was going off across the land :lol: . We even had a Zebrafinch out back once which was the most unusual thing I've ever seen, but it was so tame I guess it was an escapee, plus the fact it's a bird only native to Oz.

I saw three kites above the house the other day, quite a sight.

Latest posts

Back