• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Search Query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
As i am a novice, it is probably something that i am doing wrong, but every time i try to use the search query to search for a topic, and i put the word/s in, it comes up with a number of posts. This is ok, but my problem starts after i have read the post, because after i go back to read the next one i have to put the information in again and this happens every single time.
Take last night for instance, i put moisture meter in and because i read about 20 posts i had to put moisture meter in 20 times.

As i have said it is probably my fault, so can anyone tell me where i am going wrong.

Regards

Woody

Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Woody, if you are using Internet Explorer, you could do the following:

After doing your search, rather than clicking on each link to view it, do a right-click and select 'Open in new window'. Once you've finished on that topic, close the window and your previous window with the search results will still be there, then right-click the next link and so on.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Neil (Newbie), thanks very much for the info. I tried it but the same thing happened.

Neil, success, your idea works a treat.

Thanks to you both for taking the time to help.

Regards

Woody

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Or just arrow back.

Noel

A

Anonymous

Noel, you have got to be winding me up.

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry but i have no idea what has happened above. After leaving the message for Noel i tried to come back and say that i forgot to log in, but when i tried to submit the message something went wrong.

I am now going to retire because i am slightly :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Woody the embarassed

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Woody, no, not winding you up. Do your search and 50 posts turn up. Click on the first or whatever, read or discard, arrow back to the search results, go to the next suitable looking post, click, read, arrow back. Works for me. Granted, Neil's suggestion is good and certainly quicker although logic + computers + me don't always mix.

Noel

PS, for obvious reasons I'm thinking about "Toy Story", great movie. Sorry, an OT thought.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Noel, i see :lol: The reason i asked if it was a wind is because up above :roll: in my original post i did say that after i read a post and went back to read another one (sorry i should have said using the back arrow) i had to start all over again by retyping the information.

I have often thought that it must get pretty frustrating ](*,) for the those in the know such as yourself, when novices like me ask easy questions again and again, but i can assure you that by doing your bit you will go to Woody heaven :wink:

Mike, it seems to work for everyone, i think its a touch of if your face don't fit, and just a bit of not knowing my way around these computers.

Many thanks for your help.

Woody

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike, it seems to work for everyone, i think its a touch of if your face don't fit, and just a bit of not knowing my way around these computers.
Masonic servers...???? goddddddd we're doomed...!!!!

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Woody, sounds like perhaps you hit the back arrow twice...? Dunno. The new window/new tab (depending on browser) is probably the most bombproof method.

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

Alf, i wonder if you are somewhere near the answer as to what is causing the problem?

Yes i do have to hit the back arrow twice but only because when i hit it the first time the following page comes up:

CANNOT FIND SERVER

THE PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED

When this page appears i have got 2 options (i think), one is to hit the forward arrow, which will take me back to the post i have just read, or the second is to hit the back arrow again, which as i have said takes me to the search page, where i have to retype the info again.

Does this help you identify what is wrong, or what i am doing wrong?

Regards

Woody

cannot find server the page cannot be displayed

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm... this is definitely outside my limited 'puter knowledge, but could it be your 'puter isn't cacheing the search results page or something? Maybe? Anyone? When you go back twice are all the search fields you previously entered blank too? And have you tried going back to the search page and then going forward one page? Oh dear, this is like a blind man trying to describe colour... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

What is going on here. It now appears that i have either got a spilt personalty or with all the double posts i am a seaside guest house. Sorry folks but it appears to happen if i forget to sign in.

As you will see from my other post this laptop is very low on hard drive memory. Only a shot in the dark, but could this be causing the problem?

Alf, yes when i go back all the search fields are blank, and i have tried going back to the search page and then going forward one page, but still no success.

Regards

Woody

[mod edit - family show eh! :wink: ]

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
See what i mean? Now i know that this was not my fault, because i did sign in, but as you see it states that the above was posted by a guest?

Lets see what happens this time when i submit this post.

Regards

Woody

EDIT Well it did come up with Woodythepecker this time, but now one of my double posts have disappeared, although i suspect that might have been removed by a moderator cleaning up the forum. Thank you whoever you are.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Anonymous":1zxh77l6 said:
As you will see from my other post this laptop is very low on hard drive memory. Only a shot in the dark, but could this be causing the problem?
Do you run a very old version of an internet browser? Or could you have caching switched off? On mine, the first "back" click taskes me to the list of topics which did match the search criteria. (I know that isn't much help, but hopefully it should give you confidence that there is a setting somewhere which may sort the problem out!

Adam

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry mod, you are quite right it is a family show. It is just so frustrating trying to find out what is wrong when you haven't got an idea of what you are doing.

Adam, sorry but our posts much have crossed.

This laptop is about 17 months old and runs on XP Home Editor. I also have AOL Broadband. Does this tell you if i have a old version of a internet browser?

Where is my caching? Is it in internet options (control panel) where you can delete files and cookies?

Many thanks.

Woody