Sealing under sash windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am repairing some sash windows for a customer, the type on spring balances not proper ones with weights in. The windows are only about 15 years old but all the cills (softwood) are rotten at the bottom/front, also the front linings and architrave around them are rotten at the bottom.

I have removed the front of cills back to the rebate where the bottom sash is and replaced with hardwood and put on new front linings and will be fitting new architrave, it was as quick as splicing and makes a better job.

There are gaps between the new hardwood cills and stone cills ranging from about 6mm to 19mm, some tapered as it's an old place. Originally the gap was filled with cement tight under the windows and architrave, I think this is the reason they have rotted? Plan is to fill under the window with some trowel mastic but not fill right to the front so everything can get some air and not trap in the damp, does this sound right or anyone got any better methods?

Thanks in advance, Doug

Back