Sealing Graphite?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m planning to do some pen turning using graphite rather than wood (I’ve got the graphite (carbon) blanks - long story, don’t ask why!)

Any idea how I can seal them so don’t mark / stain like a pastel? Thinking CA finish but can I do better / pre-condition?

Simon

Unless these are graphite loaded resin blanks I suspect that it will be almost impossible to find anything to bond to it, graphite is a natural lubricant and release agent.

You'll be sorry!
I used to work for Morganite, manufacturing graphite from coke/pitch etc and it is the most hideously awful material to work with - the black greasy dust gets absolutely everywhere.
You'll never have a clean lathe again .
Martin.

Can't really help but I've turned a few pens using sections of old carbon fibre / graphite golf club shafts and fishing rods.
probably very different material but they seemed quite brittle and black dust isn't nice. I just finished the pens with microcrystalline wax and they were fine.

The stuff is too dense to embed in epoxy isn’t it?

Once you turn the tube won’t it be rather frail lengthwise

You could forget a pen and make a bluddy big pencil :D

Cracks in graphite are a nightmare :wink:

MJP":17nezbim said:
You'll be sorry!
I used to work for Morganite, manufacturing graphite from coke/pitch etc and it is the most hideously awful material to work with - the black greasy dust gets absolutely everywhere.
Martin.

Battersea? My dad and brother worked at Philips Mills just across the road.

And yeah, if thats just graphite, you'll need a full HAZ-MAT suit and your mrs will NEVER allow you to work with it a second time. :roll: :shock:

sunnybob":286273kk said:
MJP":286273kk said:
You'll be sorry!
Martin.

Battersea? My dad and brother worked at Philips Mills just across the road.

And yeah, if thats just graphite, you'll need a full HAZ-MAT suit and your mrs will NEVER allow you to work with it a second time. :roll: :shock:

No, Morriston - they had nearly finished in Battersea when I joined in around 1973-ish.
Filthy business, was glad to get out two years later - worst job I ever had.

Martin.

Back