Sealing cut edges of MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
To be quite honest I don't like using the horrible dusty stuff but can't deny it's cheap and stable.

I recently had to make up some radiator cabinets/covers and MDF seemed the natural choice. They were to have a paint finish.

All the tools I used were TCT and sharp.

I sanded all the cut edges, including those put through the router and applied some so called "dedicated" MDF primer but no matter how much I tried I could not get a smooth edge that I was happy with.

I've been wondering whether a couple of coats of sanding sealer, before applying the primer may help but I dont work with the stuff often enough to experiment. So it's over to you guys (and girls) for advice.

I've also considered a few coats of button polish - but it's all stuff still in me brain and not tested.

Any advice most gratefully recieved.

Have a good day

Mike

I tend to use either Jewsons MDF primer or Dulux trade quick drying primer/undercoat, both are waterbased. The first coat sould be applied liberally to all cut surfaces then once dry rubbed down with 180g silicon carbide. The next coat should just need de-nibbing with 320g. I get a silky smooth finish this way with either gloss or eggshell oilbased topcoats.

What make of MDF are you using? the cheap stuff from the sheds of builders merchants has a much "fluffier" core than decent makes like Caber & Medite. I now only by Moisture resistant Caber (medite if no stock) as I find it finishes a lot better.

Jason

Alf can you reply a bit quicker next time, will save me having to repeat myself :lol:

J

Thanks for the advice lads - well recieved.

The MDF I used was from a local trade woodyard - not a shed by any means - used mainly by site chippies. It does have a "fluffy" core which is what gave me the problem. I used Dulux primer 'cos my son is in the decorating business and I get all my paint and finishes from their local centre at trade + discount. Can't sneeze at that one!

I didn't know there were different grades of the stuff, as I don't use it often enough and don't have any plans to change that -- but a pound to a penny in the near future somaone will say "Mike can you make me a ............" and MDF will be the obvious choice, so I'll have to look into that further.

Thank God for Oak and Rosewood.

Thanks again

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back