Sealing bare mdf on Jessem router table top - PVA ok?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought the Jessem Rout R table :D and wanted to seal the bare MDF edges where the insert drops in.

Is a PVA 50/50 mix ok? There's no chance of the water content warping anything is there?

Cheers
Dave

Hi,

I use water based varnish wiped on with a cloth to seal MDF, works o/k no swelling on the edges.

Pete

Hi Dave
Hmmm seems to me it's one 3 things.
1/ your workshop roof needs repairing to stop the rain coming in
2/ your an obsessive compilsive like me ;-)
Or
3/ you are waiting for Rutlands to replace your router table insert and can't resist fiddling with your new toy in the meantime
Let us know if it's 1,2,3 or even possibly 4.
All the best
Howie

I had a Charnwood one and just painted any old varnish on the edge...whatever clear I had in stock at the time. It has lasted over 8 years in a rather damp workshop and is still perfectly flat. This did surprise me...believe me!

Don't forget to seal inside the whole in the middle too! :wink:

Jim

Fellas,

I would like to suggest sanding sealer. I painted three coats on an mdf work bench top and it is still looking good.

Not sure about the Jessem router table, particularly the fence. The Kreg one looks a better design. I might be wrong?

Tony

Thanks everyone, guess varnish is the way to go.

Howie: you might be right about that roof :lol: and to be fair to Rutlands, they got the replacement out to me the next day. Unfortunately this one was also chipped, but only on the underside so I was prepared to live with it and they even gave me a £10 discount as well. On the whole, great customer service from them this time.

And to Escudo: First impressions of the Jessem are that it is a very well made piece of kit. I agree that the Kreg Fence may be more elaborate but so is the price! £400+!!

For £250, I think the Jessem is excellent valueand is a major improvement on the Dakota. The fence is in fact lovely, and is absolutely accurate.

To be fair i haven't ever used a router table as it's intended, only for freehand routing but this one fills me with confidence.

I set it up today, pretty easy although the supplied woodscrews were far too soft and the predrilled holes in the table top in no way lined up with the holes in the frame. Nothing major though.

Can't wait to get going with it.

Back