Sealing a workshop floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just spent the weekend laying 30 square metres of hardwood plywood floor in my new workshop. My knees are killing me!

I want to seal the surface, ideally with a waterbased product. I need it to be quick drying and durable.

Any suggestions for what to use and where to get it in decent quantities/keenly priced.

TIA

Bob

May not be the right thing but I just finished laying a load of second hand carpet tiles in my workshop (office throwing them out) and I sealed the wooden floor with PVA before sticking them down.

cd

Thanks CD,

I want this to be the final finish to make it easy to sweep up and not get dirt into the wood fibres especially near the door way and close to the machines etc.
I suppose I was thinking more of varnish that I could roller on relatively quickly. I don't think my knees will take any more kneeling just yet!!

Bob

I have a suspended wooden floor finished with exterior hardboard, which is very good but can be a little slippery at times, not the best idea in a workshop with sharp bits of gear around. If I were looking for a finish to your floor I would be inclined to look for one which gave a slightly 'grippy' surface. Haven't got a clue what sort of product would do that but in my view what you don't want in a workshop is a surface which is high gloss and is like skating on ice when you walk on it. When I was teaching I always told the cleaners never to polish the workshop floors, just a wet wash. Periodically, I used to go round and chuck a couple of handfuls of metal filings on the floor just to roughen it up a bit - Rob

Thanks for all your comments.

I'd like to stick with varnish rather than paint as I've used hardwood ply and the surface is quite good. Maybe in a few years when it gets a few dings I might resort to paint

I've had a look at 3 local suppliers plus screwfix & toolstation. I've not found anyone selling Rustins products yet but I'm dropping in to homebase tomorrow.

Prices seem to be very variable; from £15 to £50 for 2.5 litres and coverage between 25 and 50 sq metres per 2.5 litres.

I've tempted to go with £15 Screwfix at the moment. I can't really bring myself to spend £50 on 2.5 litres of anything let alone varnish!

Bob

I always use Bourne seal, which is the pro's flooring sealant, it's breathable, has a slight sheen and a very light stain, excellent for all hardwood floors, and easy to recoat, approx £22 a gallon or (£22 4.5 litres in old money).

Hi John,

Where do you get Bourne Seal at that price??

Most prices I'm finding are £36 -40 plus vat for 5 litres.

Bob

Back