Sealey SM42 woodlathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello turners....

Can anybody furnish me with some ideas regarding any accessories that came with or are available for this lathe.
There appear to be a hole drilled in the headstock face at the same level as lathe bar. It has a bolt that looks similar to all the others that tighten the tail stock and tool rest....I’m wondering if anything is missing or is it just there to provide a holding point....
I have also wound on the faceplate and when started up the face wobbles all over the place..but it is flat.....could this be the mounting thread been put in off centre or not parallel to the face?
Any help regarding please...

Steve

I know it’s an old one but I was given it...being an ex engineer I thought I’d give it a look at. Intention being to cut some wood.

Tanglefoot20":39lkc6hs said:
…..
I have also wound on the faceplate and when started up the face wobbles all over the place..but it is flat.....could this be the mounting thread been put in off centre or not parallel to the face?

The thread linked in previous post by Lons would appear to suggest that the machine is not likely to be the best regarding accuracy of construction.

As to the accuracy of the faceplate and its runout, without seeing the machine in action or a video of its problem, I doubt, looking at your profile anyone is better experienced than yourself to diagnose the problem.

As it's an old lathe, are you sure that the spindle and faceplate you have obtained have the same size and form thread?

Hiyas
Yes it is the faceplate for the lathe but I don’t think it has ever been used.I was thinking of trying to find a tap and locate it between centres and skim down face to true up....fail g that make up a wooden one ....

I have the manual for the Clarke CWL12D which I think is the same lathe under a different brand name.
If you want a copy, PM me your email address.

Back