Sealey Saw Blade Sharpener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel2

A Total Member !!
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning all,
As per the title, I came across this offering from Machine Mart.
Has anyone had any experience with it?
If it works as claimed, it would seem a useful purchase.
1606807048514.png

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
ATB,
Daniel

I bought one of these years ago. It does work but is a right PITA to set up and adjust.
I've only ever used it to sharpen my less expensive blades as the quality of the grind finish leaves a bit to be desired.....

I've only ever used it to sharpen my less expensive blades as the quality of the grind finish leaves a bit to be desired.....

Could I ask is this down to the cutting disc or the machine itself ? Do you know what the disc is made of & what grit it is?

I have one, I used it less than a dozen times. Bit fiddly to set up especially since I didn't know anything about blade sharpening, and still don't. :)
You can have it for £50.

Certainly an interesting offer @artie
However, I'm starting to think that the thing may be too
good to be true, if you know what I mean.
I like to feel as if I've moved on from buying empty
promise gadgets, and this is starting to look like one.
:unsure: :)

Certainly an interesting offer @artie
My blades are all atb, so I have to grind every other tooth from one direction and then reset the angle to get the inbetweeners.
I have been known to grind the wrong one.
I was planning to stick it on market place, but on a whim offered it to you. Would be a cheaper way to find out if it was any good with hardly any downside.
ATB (the other ATB)

Could I ask is this down to the cutting disc or the machine itself ? Do you know what the disc is made of & what grit it is?

I couldn't tell you what the grit of the disc actually is, but it came with 2 discs....one specifically for TC tipped blades and the other for standard HSS blades. I've only ever tried to sharpen TC tipped blades and the disc is a sort of Green colour...?? Whereas, the other HSS disc is a Reddish colour.

The quality of the nuts & bolts etc on it leave a lot to be desired and I have replaced most of them. Setting the tool up with minimal play is a challenge to put it politely.....

Put it this way, if you only ever needed to sharpen the same diameter blades with the same amount of teeth with the same type of tooth configuration, then once you had spent a significant amount of time getting all the variable settings correctly dialled in, it would do a reasonable job. Cutting up solid timber material that would then require further processing to get a good finish....no problem.
Cutting up manmade boards, especially finished type materials , does not give a particularly good quality cut with any of my blades that I've sharpened on this machine.

I suppose it depends on your expectations but as I said previously, I certainly wouldn't want to try and sharpen any of my really good quality blades on it. This is most certainly not a replacement tool for having your saw blades professionally sharpened....

Edit. I only paid about £35 for mine when I bought it new a few years ago, but mine was not badged Sealey but other than that, it is exactly the same machine and it came from the Netherlands if I remember correctly

I really appreciate your offer @artie , and I was tempted.
But, I think I'm going to pass this one by.
I'm pretty sure I'll be setting myself up for some disappointment.
Although no expert, I've become good enough with woodworking
to demand that my tools are correctly sharpened. I now doubt that
this tool would be capable of such, within a reasonable time frame.
As you alluded to, the subject of blade sharpening is a whole other
skill set. I think I'm better off staying with the professional sharpeners.
Many thank's all the same.
ATB,
Daniel

Thank goodness people think it's rubbish. I thought it was going to be another gadget on my shopping list!

Just wanted to say Thank You, to everyone who contributed to this thread.
You all helped me to make an informed decision.
A good demonstration of the real value of a forum such as this.

ATB,
Daniel

Back