Sealey or Scheppach bandsaw dilema.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDub

Reaction score
Hi people, I have a mere 170 squid in my hand and have come across these options... I have narrowed my search for a new bandsaw down to: Sealey SM1304 or Scheppach Basato 1. Has anyone any experience of either machine? I err to the Basato, but am I just being swayed by the triple roller bearing guides top and bottom, or is the Sealey really a tractor in comparison even if it does say "professional"? I have been using a Ferm FLZ275 up to now so I'm pretty desperate.
Or can anyone suggest anything else new or s/h.
Thanks, John.

They are both pretty small bandsaws. What will you be cutting on them? Might be tempted to look for something second hand that would be a bit bigger but I'm sure others will point you in the right direction. I'm not sure what would be in your price range.

Indeed, please consider a second-hand one. There are always quite a few on ebay and it depends where you are as most are collection only. You probably know but you can save a search and get emails when new listings appear.
A very brief look brings this up, for example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elektra-Becku ... 500wt_1352
This one is now retailed as Metabo, at about £425.
I had one of these and I'mI fairly sure it will be a big improvement over the new ones you are looking at. Plenty more too, may even end up with a good bit of change which can be invested in a couple of good blades!

2" Oak, maybe 4" softwood possibly a bit of resawing, The Ferm copes pretty well but I want a bit more power, flexibility and reliability as it has seen better days. Another thing I forgot to mention is size, It has to be a bench top as floor space, as well as height is an issue - there's just 34" from bench to ceiling

I have a Basato1. it was fine when I worked in my garden shed which was effectively 5' x 10'.

I had this on a benchtop. It's okay if you're a real once in awhile hobby type woodworker, but if you want to make anything serious such as furniture, if you want to re-saw, if you want to cut veneers, then I think you're going to struggle with this.

Firstly you'll definitely want to get a new blade, probably from Tuff saws.
my only problem with it was that the casing for the grub screws which holds the bearing guides in place crumbled when I tightened the screw. I had to replace the block completely. Other than that it's a very nice saw when I was simply making children's toys and small bits and pieces around the house.

I would completely agree that you're better off getting a second hand one, although you may be a bit hit and miss with the condition. Perhaps someone on the forum wants to upgrade and will have a decent second-hand one for sale. You seem to have thrown a bit of a spanner into the works though, by saying it has to be benchtop.

My current "main" bandsaw is mid-size 1 hp (I use the Basato for sharp curves only now), and does a decent job of resawing, once I get it set up properly each time. However it only just enough. Although this bandsaw is on a stand, the top of the stand is about knee height, so if I were to bench mount it on the table would be about shoulder height!

I think the diameter of the wheels together with the cutting height for prevent you from getting a decent re-sawer bandsaw that is going to mount on the benchtop.

maybe there are some other options such as using a circular saw and guide or using a jigsaw with a guide rail?

wcndave":53kk04ic said:
I have a Basato1. it was fine when I worked in my garden shed which was effectively 5' x 10'.

I had this on a benchtop. It's okay if you're a real once in awhile hobby type woodworker, but if you want to make anything serious such as furniture, if you want to re-saw, if you want to cut veneers, then I think you're going to struggle with this.

Firstly you'll definitely want to get a new blade, probably from Tuff saws.
my only problem with it was that the casing for the grub screws which holds the bearing guides in place crumbled when I tightened the screw. I had to replace the block completely. Other than that it's a very nice saw when I was simply making children's toys and small bits and pieces around the house.

I would completely agree that you're better off getting a second hand one, although you may be a bit hit and miss with the condition. Perhaps someone on the forum wants to upgrade and will have a decent second-hand one for sale. You seem to have thrown a bit of a spanner into the works though, by saying it has to be benchtop.

My current "main" bandsaw is mid-size 1 hp (I use the Basato for sharp curves only now), and does a decent job of resawing, once I get it set up properly each time. However it only just enough. Although this bandsaw is on a stand, the top of the stand is about knee height, so if I were to bench mount it on the table would be about shoulder height!

I think the diameter of the wheels together with the cutting height for prevent you from getting a decent re-sawer bandsaw that is going to mount on the benchtop.

maybe there are some other options such as using a circular saw and guide or using a jigsaw with a guide rail?
Thanks, Resawing is not a major requirement really as I have a table saw - It would just be handy. Something a bit better built and maybe allowing more depth of cut, 100mm would be fine, as I said, the Ferm is OK - just poor quality and a bit inaccurate, it needs a new tyre but I would rather buy a better saw than throw money at it. What I've been looking at are approx 28 - 32" and would be fine height wise. My shed is incidently around 5' x 4' floorspace.

Resawing on a table saw has a number of problems, not least waste of material, safety, and depth of cut....

Personally I would say go for the biggest and most powerful you can fit in the space, and then if you have to go second hand to afford it, do it.

I have wasted too much money saving money, practically everything I bought in the first 2 years was from Machine Mart, and I have replaced my drill press, bandsaw, table saw, router table (with router) at great cost because i bought cheap the first time.

False economy, now i look at a Festool router and think "if that lasts me 30 years, at £900, it's only £30 a year.... " whereas my cheap stuff lasted 2 years, so was £100 per year...

hope that helps in some way, basically if all you can look at are bench top, then the Basato1 is nice, as long as you understand and accept it's limitations... but there might be bigger and better out there.

Back