SDS drill advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexupnorth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have policy of buying cheap tools that I may not use much, then if they prove useful I get a decent one when the cheapo wears out. Well, my trusty old SDS drill bought from Netto for £15 has finally given up the ghost after 6 years of sterling service and I need a replacement.

I'm looking at spending about £100, does anyone have a recommendation?

Many thanks,

Ade.

I have an older version of this one bought from BnQ about 8 years ago for ~£30 - still going strong, no problems; would buy another in a heartbeat if it ever breaks.

HTH Pete

I've had a Bosch GBH 2-24 for many years and it has given me great service.

You might like to consider the Bosch GBH 2400 at Screwfix for just under £100, item number 25831.

John

bexupnorth":2rft0p9w said:
Hi All,

I have policy of buying cheap tools that I may not use much, then if they prove useful I get a decent one when the cheapo wears out. Well, my trusty old SDS drill bought from Netto for £15 has finally given up the ghost after 6 years of sterling service and I need a replacement.

I'm looking at spending about £100, does anyone have a recommendation?

Many thanks,

Ade.

If you have got 6 years of service from that one why spend £100 on a new one?

I have one from B&Q and still going strong after a similar length of time, only occasional use though.

Mick

Hi Ade
The question you need to ask yourself is how often you use it and for what purpose.

I have had several over the years but my sds machines have a hard life and get a great deal of use as I am a builder. That includes demolition and drilling into difficult materials for extended periods. The proof is counting up the number of drills and chisels I wear out :shock:
Reliability is probably the most important factor to me as a breakdown in the middle of a job is very expensive in time and inconvenience.

My original was a Makita @ £360 which I still have but wore out the gearbox (must get around to mending that) after years of abuse. I then bought an "emergency" cheapie which lasted precisely 3 months and was thrown into the nearest skip. Current is a Dewalt at similar cost to the Makita and just as reliable. Can't remember the model numbers but can supply if you're interested.

My advice would be if for occasional use then just replace your cheapie and I doubt if a £100 drill is much better than a £50 one, but if for a lot of serious work, you probably need to spend quite a bit more.

cheers

Bob

Get a Bosch Ade (blue one) With the amount of work you do your familly will inherit it.
I bought one twenty years ago, its fitted thousands of windows, hundreds of kitchens and its still going strong (hammer)

Bought a 'Titan' from Screwfix a couple of weeks ago, think it was about £70. Son has been using it for his house renovation and it has worked well so far. Is Titan the brand Screwfix use when it's a level above Erbauar (spelling?)?

Tony Comber

I have an older version of this one bought from BnQ about 8 years ago for ~£30 - still going strong, no problems; would buy another in a heartbeat if it ever breaks.

That looks remarkably like the one I've just broken, to be honest, I didn't realise it was still available thanks for the link :D

Why the £100 budget? When I was digging about I was struggling to find one for much less. Following the comments and links provided I think I'll go for the same model again. I don't need a "pro" model, but have found it an incredibly useful tool.

thanks for the replies.

Ade

I have had my Bosch for a good few years of very heavy use from building to drilling out spot welds and it has always done everything I have asked.

Equivalent now would be this one from tool-net (turns out I cant post links) but it is a GBH2-20 D 240V 650W coming in at £106 inc VAT

I love the feeling of having trust in tools. I bought an angle grinder from B&Q that gave out in no time from what I would consider fairly light work. They replaced it under warranty but I don't want to keep going back and dont want to worry when I have a big job on.

Freddy

EDIT: Spelt Bosch like a child

Well same here as i have a B&Q power pro one I have owned for around five years now and it is still going strong. I don't often drill or chop up concrete but do drill walls and lintels a lot with it. :wink:

Latest posts

Back