'Scuse me while I have a little moan/rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why I favour hand tools, and then I get days like yesterday when the scales fall from my eyes once more. :evil: Some little while ago :oops: Keith from Brimarc picked up a certain box of planes and left a box of Microfence goodies for me to peruse. Silly fellow said "no hurry", so I only just got round to it this weekend. :roll: So I fish out my Bosch GOF900ace from it's dust-free, largely-undisturbed-from-one-end-of-the-year-to-the-next, cupboard. If this router has done as much as 20 hours use in its pampered life I'd be surprised, but already it's blown its speed control which cost 60 smackeroonies to replace. :evil: I set the blessed thing up with the Microfence, dust extraction, me done up like Marvin the Martian in safety gear, the works. Take the first cut and

BANG! :shock:

Smoke, oily smell, flam- Okay, not flames, but the trip switch went on the workshop fuse box. It was so bad I actually put it outside the workshop in case it did go up in flames. :shock: When the smoke had disappated I opened it up; the switch is a write-off :evil: That's IT. I'm just not throwing more money at this piece of junk. Gawd knows what outrageous price Bosch will charge for a replacement switch, but for the amount of use this thing has had, it's ridiculous. So Microfence review is a no-no and I take one more step down The Slope. Why, I hear you ask?

I don't intend to replace it. :shock:

That's right; I don't use it, so what's the point? I feel better already at the very thought. :D Someone pass me the #71 will you? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Put in Off-Topic 'cos, honestly, how many people want to read me moaning? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Alf,
Glad to hear you survived your mini-disaster. And I'm right behind you (sorta :lol: ) on the "doing-it-the-old-fashioned-way", if my sad Ebay purchases keep coming. Having a bit of a plough-rebate-combi plane thing going on at the moment...........
Still, the tailed beast is handy sometimes. Like when that door needs to be kept open :lol:
To peaceful woodworking (amd the odd curse...)
Philly :D

Bad luck Alf - possibly damp?

What router do you use in the Rat?, not another Bosch hopefully :wink:

Alf,
Rotten luck. I expect it was the cobwebs and dust of eons (no environment is totally dust free) that had accumulated through lack of use that caused a short. Possibly it was just the shock to the poor thing's system on being waken from its slumbers like that.

It was so bad I actually put it outside the workshop in case it did go up in flames.

What remarkable restraint!. Just to make sure it was completely dead and didn't try to drag it's sorry a*** back into the workshop, I'd have used one of the following WMD's- garden roller :shock: , lump hammer :evil: :evil: , blowtorch :twisted: , or possibly the family car (but might damage a tyre) :? :D

waterhead37":y19n5ec1 said:
Rotten luck. I expect it was the cobwebs and dust of eons

Nah, it was just upset.
'Stick me in that dark, smelly cupboard for months just waiting to be taken out and made to work my little collett off when you feel like it. Well, I'm telling you my lass, no more of that. Lets see how far you get if I don't work. Hah, no lets see what you do.'

Actually, I know how you feel. Got the router out of the cupboard the other week when I was making a picture frame for the missus. Was making it out of mdf as she wanted to paint it.
Horrendous. :shock: Noise, dust, having to wear all that stuff. Horrible, and then I found that my pockets had filled with mdf dust :!:
If I can avoid it, I won't be using either again.
Got myself some moulding planes coming off of eBay and looking forward to venturing into Woody World. :)

Cheers,
Barry

Chris, you're right; I was expecting a certain amount of dust to have been the culprit. Damned if I could see any when I opened it up though. Although if that had been the cause I'd have ranted even more - after all it's a woodworking tool, apparently with the express purpose of creating dust. :roll: And I'll have you know it's a very nicely situated, deceptively spacious cupboard, Barry :lol: Now somewhat emptier too...* (especially empty of damp, Tony :p )

Cheers, Alf

*Except TPTB seem to be assuming a replacement is vital, and it might be hard to turn down the opportunity... :oops:

NB. Bosch 900 breaking for spares if anyone's interested.

Alf":33hnbb74 said:
*Except TPTB seem to be assuming a replacement is vital, and it might be hard to turn down the opportunity... :oops:

Well, don't forget to get it out every now and then. Sit it on your bench and have a little chat while you work. Maybe you could do the odd hinge using it or even a small mortice joint. Just to make it feel wanted. :wink:

I don't suppose it's any consolation, but I'd to dig a shallow grave for one of my routers last night too.... no smoke n pyrotechnics... but it's dead none the less... I doubt it'll be replaced anytime soon...

I always store unused power tools in those tough resealable bags keeps out the damp and dust .Still i would be annoyed after spending £60 on it just to see it throw a tantrum .Suprised Alf still has lecky in the workshop with all those hand tools .She'll be using candles and gas lamps soon cuz o demons in that there electrickery :lol: :lol:

Alf, It's a sad story you had to tell but just imagine if you'd just spent four hours fixing another fault and then the little blighter blows up :cry: Just happened to me a few days ago. Mine was a very cheap far east thing, and one does expect a bit more from Bosch. Did you know that they have two ranges, the GREEN cased ones are Hobby/DIY and the BLUE cased range are supposed to be the professional ones. Which colour was yours?

Welcome to forum, Losos. :D

Urgh, I hate it when that happens. You slave away and the darn thing still rats on you. My commiserations :( The green/blue thing I know about, yep. The router was a blue one; I've never had any trouble at all from the green stuff I've had. Go, as they say, figure. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf, Thanks for the welcome, I'm really glad I found this site, it seems miles better than anything that I've come across before, and I include some sites in the finance world which claim to be 'leading edge' as they say. My delay in replying is due to the fact that work on converting our 'hay barn' has finally started. I hope that it will be my 'dream woodworking shop' soon. Right now it's got an earth floor, tons of hay everywhere and spiders webs, oh, and just to make life difficult there's an enormous combine harvester machine which I have to dismantle piece by piece 'cos it can't be moved :(
Regards, Harvey

Back