Scrubbed beech finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviem

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - I've been asked to make a table with a scrubbed beech top.
Can anybody give me brief description on how to do this - never done it before!

Thanks folks

It's pretty easy and nothing to worry about. You will need to sand the top down to 240 grit, wet the top to allow the grain to raise up, sand some more, wet and keep sanding until the grain no longer raises up, usually about four to six times, once the grain no longer rises up you will need to bleach with A + B ( ammonia solution + hydrogen peroxide ). neutralise the bleach with acetic acid ( white vinegar ) or just lots of water and allow to stand for three to four days, then sand down with 400 grit. You should achieve a nice burnished finish. From then on to maintain the top it will need a wipe over with a rag soaked in a weak solution of domestic bleach which will take out any stains from food or oil. I did a sycamore top using this method for a family with very young children and it survived tinned baby food felt tip pens and all sorts of abuse and still looks good twenty years on with nothing more than a bleach rag wiped over it every now and then.
regards,
mrpercysnodgrass.

Thanks for that - sounds simple enough.
Personally I'd give it half a dozen coats of good poly but these people are quite specific and I suppose it's good to try something new

Forgot to ask - is the ammonia in equal measure to the peroxide? Does the peroxide have a % strength?

You can buy A+B bleach in a pack such as these http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/prod/fiddes_bleach_set.html

The A solution is ammonia weakened down with something, I'm not sure what, the B solution is hydrogen peroxide 30%. They are applied separately, first the A solution then just as it is starting to dry apply the B solution. You will need to wear nitrile or marigold gloves when applying. It says on AG's site to use bleach brushes to apply but this is not necessary, in fact they tend to flick the bleach around a bit which is not a good idea, just use rag, a new dishcloth or old t shirt material will do.
The finish you get with this method is like sun bleached driftwood, it is a really nice way to finish a table and very practical, very easy to maintain. Most victorian kitchen work tables were treated like this.

Latest posts

Back