Scrub plane choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":2fijp39b said:
Is that single or double iron? Who did the conversion (cambering of the iron)?

BugBear
[/quote]

It's a single - came to me like this, I just honed it a tiny bit. Jim may know more but I assume you mean it was originally a standard block and got re-profiled some time?
I will do a test piece and post a pic - it shifts stock very fast, and leaves a really attractive scalloped finish... if you like that kind of thing :D

condeesteso":28tc0ftv said:
bugbear":28tc0ftv said:
Is that single or double iron? Who did the conversion (cambering of the iron)?

BugBear

It's a single - came to me like this, I just honed it a tiny bit. Jim may know more but I assume you mean it was originally a standard block and got re-profiled some time?
I will do a test piece and post a pic - it shifts stock very fast, and leaves a really attractive scalloped finish... if you like that kind of thing :D[/quote]

It was cambered like that straight from the bootfair...I sharpened it...Douglas honed it further...though the amount of time he spent scalloping oak...he would probably have needed to by then anyway! :mrgreen:

It is a really "go to" plane....in a good home.

Jim

my scrub is an old user made coffin smoother with a massive ward blade and a worn sole. the mouth is quite large, and as a scrub it kicks ass. interestingly, it came to me in just this condition, inherited frpm my grandfather. I don't believe he ever used it. he had it hanging on the wall as decoration. I think he knew it was too worn out to be used as a smoother, and although it is obvious to me that the last time it had been used, it was as a scrub, I don.t think my grandfather knew about that. I could be wrong, though, and he's no longer around to ask.

I can definitely say that the extra width (and this one is quite wide) is no problem.

Bridger

The best quote I read on here (and apologies for not remembering who said it)....was on a thread about the naming of planes.

The question arose as to what size of plane constituted a jointer or try plane.

One answer was "to a box maker....a block plane is a jointer!)

I bring this up because the little woodie "scrub" that Douglas mentioned...

DSC_0987.JPG

...which I found configured like that at a bootfair...

DSC_0994.JPG

This is only a 1 1/2" I.Sorby iron...

DSC_0993.JPG

....but it still levels out stock...only in smaller sizes...

DSC_0990.JPG

Douglas has promised to post some scalloping of the oak panels he is testing it on...as a decorative feature...and this is very attractive on a piece...giving an old, handmade feel.

Used at about 45 degress to the stock and partly across the grain (unlike my first picture which was to see amount of cut)....this little beauty manage to remove stock at a remarkably rapid rate...a quick swipe over with a straight edged try plane and it was done.

So large size isn't always better....just more common.

Jim

Jim
your little scrub looks a good size to me. Small and light works well - they're for thrashing away material, heavier planes sap a lot more energy.
If you're replicating old surface textures it can help to examine old country furniture - often surfaces not seen are left straight from the adze,axe drawknife etc, each leaves distinctive marks. The wood was often a lot greener than we use to go into modern homes , so easier to work with a bigger edge tool. Pushing a heavily cambered 4 1/2 to get a scalloped surface on bone dry Oak is knackering
Have fun with the experiments
Matt

Back