Scrub plane - blade sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just received my L-N scrub plane. Before attempting to sharpen and hone the blade I thought I'd see if anyone has tips for sharpening the cambered blade - as I have visions of ploughing furrows into my waterstones :lol:

Any thoughts and tips gratefully received.

Thanks, Edmund

Hi Edmund,

For reshaping I use a disc/belt sander.

For sharpening I use a 600 grit diamond stone.

For honing I use a 2000 grit ceramic.

On both stones I move the blade down the length of the stone, rolling it from one extreme to the other, with the blade lengthwise to the stone.

Else I use my MK.II with the cambered roller...You can also use Derek's method of the MK.II upside down as per his post--if you have the MK.II.

Mike

Grinder and fine diamond stone in conjunction with the Mark 1 eyeball and my very own Freaky Hands (TM). It's a scrub plane; precision isn't something to worry about, honest it isn't. If you're worried about your waterstones, use Scary Sharp.

Cheers, Alf

Rob Cosman sharpens (and uses) his Scrub in his video "Rough To Ready"-an excellent view if you can get hold of a copy.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Thanks all. I ended up using my Eclipse honing guide, which allowed me to rock sufficiently to sharpen the blade adequately - I think. At a 25 degree angle it sharpened about 3/32" of the bevel - will this be enough or should it be at a lower angle to sharpen more of the bevel??

I've also noticed that the blade is fairly magnetised - haven't really noticed this on any of my other L-N planes. Is this something I should be bothered about????

I've had good luck using sanding fids to sharpen a scrub. I make a wooden fid by first planing a trench in some softwood with the scrub. Then I rip it and crosscut it into several pieces and stick some self-adhesive sandpaper to each fid. I have three or four grits to get me to a polished microbevel.

This way I can secure the scrub blade in a bench vise and work the curve with the fids. Works like a charm for scrubs and any other curved blade.

Chris

At a 25 degree angle it sharpened about 3/32" of the bevel - will this be enough or should it be at a lower angle to sharpen more of the bevel??

Given what a scrub plane is for, I'd go higher (e.g. 30-35), not lower, and use a secondary bevel.

BugBear

Back