Scrub from a Stanley #5 1/4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the #5 1/4 I converted to a scrub. Filed the mouth open and cambered the blade and honed it. Last night I rasped away the sharp-cornered tote to something a bit more comfy.

Heavier than a LV scrub, it works great even for prolonged scrubing. :lol:

Sorry, no pics from a couple weeks ago when I used it for the afternoon. If you've used a scrub, the chips are just like that <g>.

i'm lifting my head out of the sand and asking a silly question but what is a "Scrub Plane"

Andy

i'm lifting my head out of the sand and asking a silly question but what is a "Scrub Plane"

Try searching recent posts for the word "scrub"
There's been quite a lot of discussion recently.

BugBear

Nice work Mike!
I found the LV scrub not as heavy as I was expecting-certainly a little more "carry-through" than my woodie scrub!
How much did you pay for the 5 1/4??
Cheers
Philly :D

bugbear":1r12xqz6 said:
Filed the mouth open
Any design reason for filing the mouth open square, not round?
BugBear
Hi BB,

Only one reason...I happened to have a thin flat file that was nearly 2/3 the width of the mouth that fit into the original opening.

Seemed less work to just stick the toe in a padded vice and with a hand on each side of the plane, go for it.

Mike

LyNx":atfah3ay said:
Andy
Hi Andy,

As you have already probably found doing a search, a scrub is justa plane for removing large amounts of wood, quickly.

Mike

Philly":k8qhrerr said:
Nice work Mike!
I found the LV scrub not as heavy as I was expecting-certainly a little more "carry-through" than my woodie scrub!
How much did you pay for the 5 1/4??
Cheers
Philly :D
Hi Philly,

I have looked for a couple years for a 5 1/4 that wasn't abused to the point of cracks as so many are in order to make a scrub.

A person on another forum knew about that and gave me this one (a second, unused one for him). He even paid for the shipping and wouldn't let me reimburse him.

The plane is a recent enough one, it had those terrible squarish handles, though. Glad I'm not afraid of taking a rasp to handles I find uncomfortable...

It's 3/4 of a pound heavier and a 1/4" longer than the LV. It really does help in the woods I usually work.

Mike

I have looked for a couple years for a 5 1/4 that wasn't abused to the point of cracks as so many are in order to make a scrub.

It would have taken longer than that in the UK!

BugBear

Back