Scrollsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to buy a scrollsaw. I've searched the forum and digested relevant info. I've browsed and found some models that caught my eye.

Delta 40570
Delta 40540
Rexon SS16A
Rexon VS4000A
Hegner 2SV

I'm unsure which features are worth paying for and which aren't. Such as,

Parallel action
Blower
Dust extraction port
Varispeed or 2-speed (varispeed according to Hegner site)

Anything else?

My budget is up to 200 quid or perhaps a little more if I get a respectable Christmas bonus. A 16" throat would be OK but an 18" or 24" would be even better. So are the Axminster models worth that bit more (esp. the 24")? The Hegner unfortunately is outside my budget. Noting comments about vibration in cheaper saws, I couldn't help noticing that saws range widely in weight from around 15kg to 27kg for the Delta and 29-43kg for the Axminster models.

I'm aware of the importance of good blades, but do you think a heavy saw would have significantly better cutting performance by damping vibration?.

Any further advice/suggestions from experienced users would be most welcome.

thanks

Ike

Hi Ike

Looking like a decent list

I have a Rexon (no idea which one) that has performed faultlessly for a year and a bit now

Until September I was employed in Education. We had three Hegner saws in the workshops, all different models. They ran all day, often poorly adjusted, without (after 10 years or so) any signs of wear in the bearings or motor. When correctly adjusted they were very quiet, but they all used the (extra cost) floor stand which reduced "drumming" sounds. Hegner blades are also very good but like the machines are expensive.

Hope this helps, Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

I used to work in education and know what students can do to any kit that they get their hands on, the Hegner is therefore highly recommended in my eyes.

Ike

I bought the rexon as it was the quality one available in my LOCAL tool store. Plain and simple.

If I hated it I could take it back and if I broke it ditto. I prefer to buy locally and am prepared to pay more than Axminster etc. as being able to stand in front of the salesman/service bod and get the problem resolved is worth ££££s to me :wink:

Locally means no waiting in for parcels and losing a day off work too :lol:

I bought the rexon as it was the quality one available in my LOCAL tool store. Plain and simple.

Fair comment and I agree 100% about buying locally, My local tool store is quite an emporium but in my estimation, the staff aren't passionately interested / impartially critical about what they are selling. "That's the price, buy it if you want it" sort of attitude, which I suppose is OK for a lot of people. Lucky for you having a really good local store. When I buy mail order, I always get it delivered to work address.

BTW, I know Hegner are top notch, probably built for maximum abuse in schools, but I can't justify the premium for that. After all it's only for home use on an irregular basis.

cheers

Ike

Ike

I use the Rexon SS16A as well, screwfix have just reduced the price on the dual speed model, the blade changing is easy which was my main requirement since i make a lot of puzzles etc, i really cant fault the product after a year of use and for £100 you cant go wrong, i would assume the new Rexon model is even better and still within your price bracket.

T

ike":3v8tvvu4 said:
I know Hegner are top notch, probably built for maximum abuse in schools, but I can't justify the premium for that. After all it's only for home use on an irregular basis.

In that case why not try one of the Axminster Perform saws - fixed speed at £30 or variable speed at £50?

I too would like a Hegner, but know I won't use it enough to justify the expense even if I could afford it...

Pete

cambournepete":3n7hu98b said:
In that case why not try one of the Axminster Perform saws - fixed speed at £30 or variable speed at £50?

I have a Ferm fixed speed scroll saw that appears to be the same as the Axminster one, I am not into fine scroll work but have used it loads before I got a band saw for cutting curves. I made 8 chairs look here,all of the curved frame parts in 3/4" iroko where cut using it.

Well, so far I've ruled out the Axminster Whites which leaves the Delta 40570 or one of the Rexons.

On past comments about Ferm and experience of other Ferm tools (and therefore by association, similar clones), I decided not to go purely on price for one of the cheapest machines (and I say that with no disrespect to other owners who are pleased with theirs, and have kindly given their opinion).

I like the Delta a LOT. I found a couple of good reviews of the SS350LS - the US version of it. At the top end of the budget but.... I will scrutinise both Rexons (and with them being considerably cheaper as well).

Looking about for suppliers, I found D&M advertise the Delta at £199 inc VAT/PP. Are D&M a good outfit to deal with? I haven't used them before. The website looks easy to use. Who are the Delta importers anyway?

thanks for your help so far.

cheers,

Ike

Hi Ike,

I have also been looking at scrollsaws lately. The Rexon screwfix sell is the SS16A for £99.99. My local B&Q currently have the SS16SA at £79.99 although I havent had a good look at the specs to see what the extra S gets you - both are two speed and 200w with a 400mm throat (16"). Also not sure if the SA in B&Q is a special time limited offer or not as they are sitting on the end of an isle rather than in the tool section. Might be worth a look at least. Needless to say the B&Q website is up to its usual standard and doesnt show a rexon scrollsaw amongst its products :roll:

Steve.

Ah some else who has noticed that the B&Q web site bears little relation to whats in the stores. :roll: It would be nice to check what they have in store even if you cannot buy it on line.

Don't suppose there is any chance of a new user called B&Q. :shock:

I think it is fair to say that B+Q have the worst website I have ever seen. :(

I only ever go on there if I am looking for plywood or a bit of softwood for an odd job, but even then it is a waste of time. I dodn't know why they bother!

Made this for my old man for xmas on the Rexon

scroll1.jpg

and these with various bits of scrap and some scans from Spielmans books

scroll2.jpg

scroll3.jpg

Hey, very nice Tony. I wanted to make some simple jigsaws with interlocking pieces or push in the hole pieces for my 15 month old son, looks like the rexon will be up to the job! Do you have any idea how the SS16SA differs from the SS16A?

Steve.

Edit: Finally found the answer on the rexon website www.rexon.net. Buried away in the product introduction section is the european spec for the SS16A and SS16SA. The SA has two speeds and the A is single speed. Apart from that they seem to be the same. However, the A says its 110W and the SA 220W. This differs from the screwfix website which says the A is 220W. Both have parallel arms for vertical and fine cutting rather than C arms. Based on that I am sorely tempted to go for the SA in B&Q if they still have it in stock, since you get dual speed for £20 less!

Latest posts

Back