Scrollsaw Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank, Double WOW......great cutting and I agree with Gill.....you are good with a brush.....I on the other hand am not.....Please tell where the patterns came from......what are they cut from?....what kind of paint did you use?....Is that some sort of metal on the truck handle? ..You got yourself a whole farm there.....really neat..hope you don't mind all the questions...I think you did sooooooooo good.....I really like the set....I'm not much for puzzles but this I like.
What ya going to cut next?
Lin

That is super work, Frank.

Watch out for my Spitfires, Lin. They are still in the hanger at the moment - hope they don't crash before take-off! :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi All,
thanks for all your nice comments, :D
Gill said:

Are the patterns your own?
no Gill they are not mine ,(i'm not that clever!)
the patterns are in a book by Tony and June Burns, the book is called "Scroll Saw Farm Puzzles" (Fox Chapel co inc )

isbn no. 1-56523-138-40.
they are cut from white"pine" , from out of the rubbish skip next door to where i work! i painted them with very thin water colour , if you don't dilute it enough it looks really, really bad , i also use accrilic paint , but again very thin,
Lin said:
Is that some sort of metal on the truck handle?

no Lin, its gold felt tip, the type used to wright on tyres.
as for the "good with a paintbrush", it was just good luck that it came out rite :eek:
next on my list is a clock, but thats after i've mended my grandsons tractor. i don,t think it's supposed to fly!!!!!!!!
all the best--------Frank-----
P.S hope to get to Stoneleigh on the sunday

Trev, You said "Spitfires" as in plural.......You gonna try stacking cutting first time outta the gate?.......If you are going to use thinner stock......that would be the way to go.......I'm now wait for Pics of your planes once they get off the ground...
Lin

Well, at long, long last I finally got around to finishing the cutting of my Spitfires today. :D :D Got them up into the air. :D :D Then, you know what? They carried right on out over the green hills of Herefordshire and disappeared in a north westerly direction! Reckon they must have crashed somewhere in Snowdonia. :cry: :cry: Probably never to be seen again. :oops: :oops:

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":232e0ibh said:
Got them up into the air. :D :D Then, you know what? They carried right on out over the green hills of Herefordshire and disappeared in a north westerly direction! Reckon they must have crashed somewhere in Snowdonia. :cry: :cry: Probably never to be seen again. :oops: :oops:

So just how much single malt have you sampled this evening? :roll:

It's so sad that our Spitfire squadron is flying the 'Missing Man' formation.

Gill

Phew!! Found them at last - flying over the brown hills of North Wales. :lol: :lol:

(Actually, after my earlier post I had to glue the two halves back together, find a backing, take the pic. - amongst a couple of other little jobs I was doing - then post it).

I used a piece of spalted sycamore, planed to about 1/4 thick, and as the piece was large enough thought if I am going to do one, I might as well do two! Stack cutting, I believe it is called? I stacked (stuck) the two halves of the wood together with double sided tape, then covered the top with masking take, to which I attached the pattern with photographic adhesive - all worked well. Only busted one blade, towards the end. They are as they came off the saw, apart from the two pieces being stuck back together, as you can see - not yet tidied, sanded or finished. When all done, I might just put them in a frame to hang alongside my real pictures of the Battle of Britain Flight.

trevtheturner-Spitfires.JPG

With many thanks to my kind benefactor (see you Sunday?) who loaned me a nice Hegner 1 to have a go at this. A very interesting exercise and more than a little bit tricky in places, especially when it came to the roundel - amazing how aware I became of the direction of the grain in the wood whilst I was cutting.

Checked the piggy bank - not enough in there yet - need to save a few pounds for that scrollsaw.

And now I'm off for that single malt, Dave!

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev,

Very nice, I am still looking for some suitable timber to use for this, your choice is great. :mrgreen:

Just as the chaps in the mess were about to share a couple of unclaimed eggs for breakfast :) 8) !

You've done a grand job there, Trev :D . Stack cutting your first project was quite ambitious but it's come out a treat - and at the cost of only one saw blade. That's quite remarkable :eek: . Nevertheless, it'll probably be well worth considering changing your blade for your next project; scrollsaw blades aren't renowned for their longevity.

I love the effect of the spalted sycamore. As you know, I've got a little of that myself and I think I'll save it until I want to cut something really special. You'll have to show us how they look when they've been properly finished.

Well done!

Gill (who'll definitely be at Stoneleigh on Sunday :) )

Hi Trev,
great job there , :D glad you found them ok, (how are the hills of north wales?) :lol:
great choice of wood, makes realistic clouds.

keek up the good work,-- --Frank----

Trev, You done good.....give yourself a pat on the back. Stack cutting first time outta the gate.......great job......more than that I really like the choice of wood......the spalt gives them that up in the air look. Wispy clouds and such......no wonder you had a hard time finding them.......hope your piggy bank grows quickly.......I think you may have a knack for this stuff.
Lin

Thank you all for your kind and reassuring comments. They are much appreciated. :D

I had the picture in mind when I picked up that piece of rough spalted wood and it seems to have turned out as I hoped. In fact, I was just pleased to have produced anything from my first effort! It won't be my last.

One of my sons is a wolf nut, so I can see your wolf pattern coming in handy for a Christmas present, Lin - thanks for posting it.

Cheers,

Trev.

At the Stoneleigh exhibition it was suggested that another vintage aircraft pattern might be well received. The one I've come up with is a bit more testing than the Spitfire pattern; I've asked Lin if she can think of ways to simplify it but that might take a while to work through. In the meantime, there may be some people who have newly acquired SIP saws which they're keen to put to the test. So here it is - a Lancaster bomber. Click on the picture below for the full pattern.

I'd suggest a fairly fine blade for this project, such as a #2 or #3. If you don't have one of those, use a coarser blade and don't worry if you can't cut quite as much detail; it should still make a nice picture. Alternatively, enlarge the pattern until you're happy that it's suitable for you. A fairly resilient wood such as maple or sycamore would be my choice for the project, but there's no reason why a decent grade plywood or even MDF wouldn't work. Because some of the detail is quite fine, I wouldn't use material that was less than 6mm thick.

This project certainly won't be as easy as the others - bon chance!

Gill

Latest posts

Back