Scrollsaw Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gill,

Nice one! :lol:

Is that the one that crashed or have you cut a new one?
If you have repaired it, I can't see the join, now which one of us should have the short fat hairy legs? 8-[

Hi Dave

And before anyone asks - no, I didn't get creative with an airbrush over the repair while I was manipulating the photograph :p ;) . As if I would... O:)

Gill

PS Congratulations Lin - your chopper turned out very nicely (sorry that I forgot to comment before :oops: )

hi all.
well done to all of you, :D :D you never now what you can do till you try,! :eek:
it's nice to see so many "have a go ", see it didn't hurt did it ?
well done Gill and Lin for the encouragement,
i have had a go at the motorbike ,but can't get a photo (no camera)
if it all goes wrong ,you can always throw it on the fire , so it's not wasted.
all the best-------- Frank---------

Hi Frank

It's nice to have you with us, even if you can't post piccies :) .

Gill

Frank, Do you have a scanner? I know a few who have scanned their projects to post a pic of them. Not real easy to do but a possiblity.....Just a thought. Glad you cut the "motor bike". What wood and blade did you use?
Lin

Hi Lin :D
no i don't have a scanner, my computer skills are such that i would have to find a 12 year old to show me how to use one! :oops:
I have got a printer, but even get that in a muddle sometimes!.
I cut the bike from 3/4" oak, i get it from the scrap bin of a local kitchen maker , free!..
The blades i have used are a brand called "Saw Bird" (made in Germany)
i have also used "Hobbies" blades ,also---- (Made in Germany)----
My saw is a Delta 2 speed, i have had it for about 6 years , i usually make wooden toys, but am going to try my hand at some "Real Fretwork", a nice fancy clock? or something!!!!!!!!
-------------Frank---------

I quite fancy having a go at this challenge. Can anyone recommend a make/model of a decent starter scrollsaw?

Oh Dear more kit needed

fremar":gwk6pi4f said:
Can anyone recommend a make/model of a decent starter scrollsaw?

Simple question - complicated answer :D !

Practically any scrollsaw on the market will enable you to cut the Spitfire and chopper patterns. It's when you decide that you want to cut more ambitious patterns that you could easily become frustrated by the limitations of your machine. It would be such a shame for the saw to end up out of the way in the workshop, never to see the light of day again, and for you to think that scrolling was just too difficult because you had an inappropriate machine for your ambitions.

So what are the limitations of 'starter machines'? They are normally made of lightweight material which means the scrollsaw will vibrate when it's used. This makes it difficult to hold your wood and feed it accurately; your hands also get a similar feeling to the 'white knuckle' effect of holding a pneumatic drill for any length of time. These machines also have limited cutting depth so you can only cut relatively thin pieces of wood (most scrollers like to 'stack cut' several pieces at a time). Blade changing is often quite arduous - since you'll break a number of blades when you begin scrolling, this can be extremely tedious. Also, more basic machines tend to use pin-head blades which sit on rockers; this limits the ability to undertake fine work as your skills develop because if you decide to make internal cuts you'll have to drill a particularly large hole in order to feed your blade through. Almost all scrollsaws have the facility to tilt the table but more basic models have angle guages that are often less than reliable; when you're cutting relief work, a difference of ½° can be significant. Another limitation is throat size. When you're cutting a pattern, you'll often need to swing your wood in an almost completely circular movement, so you'll need a saw with a throat that can accept the piece of wood you're intending to work with. As you cut, you'll find that sawdust gathers at the point of the cut. Most modern scrollsaws have a blower which will disperse this dust but it's important to beware of machines that don't because sawdust build up will not only obscure your pattern but it will shorten the life of your blades. Finally, basic models often come with just a single speed. That's usually not a problem at first, but as your skills progress you'll find there are times when the saw seems to be 'running away' with you and the ability to slow the machine becomes important.

So those are the pitfalls to beware of when looking for scrollsaws. When I started, I used a Spiralux saw such as this one on eBay which gave me a taste for scrolling, even if ¼" plywood was as much as it could cope with! However, it had the virtue that it's impossible to cut yourself with a Spiralux. Nowadays, I think most scrollers would be drawn to the sort of cheap saws that you see in B&Q and other sheds. I've never tried one of these machines myself because when I started scrolling you either had to buy a quality machine or cut by hand - cheap Far Eastern products weren't available. I've heard quite a good report of the Ferm saw (although the person who recommended it never posted again :) !) and I know from seeing demonstrations of the SIP saw that it should be avoided like the plague. For myself, I'm struck by how similar all these saws look and how similarly they're priced. I'd be surprised if any of them were much better than the SIP.

Woodworkers who want a saw that will give them a good introduction to scrolling should expect to spend significantly more than £100 and look at saws such as the Delta 40-540 which has a very good reputation amongst scrollers. A more expensive alternative might be the Axminster AWFS18 which looks suspiciously like a rebadged Hegner. I've never used this saw myself but I have heard that it's very good.

I hope this helps and I haven't made scrolling sound more daunting than it really is!

If you can get to the Stoneleigh exhibition at the middle of the month you'll be able to check out very high quality saws at the Hegner stand. That should give you more idea of what to look out for.

Gill

Gill
I read your post with interest also admiring the work you and your fellow scrollers turn out. I do not own a scrollsaw and my only experience was many hours fretsawing by hand when at school. My question is that when at Yandles I watched the demonstration of the SIP scrollsaw and having no experience of such was quite impressed with the work that was done in front of me, also the ease of blade change etc. As I own the SIP 10" cast table saw which I am very impressed with, can you point out the negatives of the SIP scrollsaw that I should be aware of if I was thinking of a purchase. :oops: :shock: :?:

Many thanks

Les

Thought I'd toss out another pattern for those that have shown an interest in trying out there scrolling techniques.....It's set up to be cut as an 8" x 10" but can be resized as needed. Cut out the black....
Lin
wolfpattern.gif

That's a nice pattern, Lin :) . Being a mutt nut and somewhat crazy about wolves too, I'll have a go at that one myself. Perhaps spiral blades might be the order of the day?

Les - I saw the SIP scrollsaw being demonstrated at a recent show and watched in horror as the saw vibrated so much that the demonstrators mug of coffee slid along the table that the saw was mounted on towards the floor. Fortunately, he caught it in time. Having encountered dubious comments about the SIP scrollsaw on other forums, I approached the demonstrator with a view to checking out the saw in depth myself. I got no further than asking him how you changed blades. After about 5 minutes of fiddling with the saw casing and inserting screwdrivers where I doubt screwdrivers are meant to go, he summoned his colleague who he claimed was much more knowledgable about scrollsaws. The pair then spent another 5 minutes fiddling with the saw (the blade doggedly remained where it was throughout) before I got fed up and left. By that stage I'd simply written off the saw as a bad machine. I returned to the SIP display about half an hour later and found that the scrollsaw had been withdrawn from the exhibition.

I'm not knocking SIP products. Some of them are very good indeed and whilst at the show I purchased a SIP SCMS which was very reasonably priced and has since performed admirably. Whilst making my purchase, I told the rep of my reservations with the scrollsaw and he said I was the first person to ever make such comments. He sounded genuinely pleased to hear my opinion (perhaps I sounded well-informed :? ?) and said he would pass my comments on to the firm's designers. Apparently, SIP not only value constructive feedback but they'll act upon it; this is why their SCMS was quickly upgraded to include a trenching facility. SIP might not have a good scrollsaw yet, but future models should be worth looking out for.

Gill

I bought the Axminster CCVFS perform Variable Speed Scroll Saw - it was about £50.

It takes both plain ended and pinned blades. However, to release the bottom blade, you have to remove a cover, so the cover has remained off! The quality of the socket head screws used to clamp the blades is poor; they rounded out after a few uses, so I replaced them with decent ones.

You certainly must clamp/screw the saw to the bench - otherwise it goes for a walk!

I am too new at scrolling to say if its a good saw - I've no comparison but it sure beats hand fret sawing. Just started on some Christmas decorations that Gill was kind enough to copy the pattens for me last year. I am just ashamed at my efforts when I see those produced by Gill and Lin. :oops:

John

Hi Fremar :)
I'm with Gill on this one, cheap, lightwieght scrollsaws do tend to "dance around" all over the bench , ( you will need a chair with casters on to keep up with it!) ----- verrrrry frustrating!!!!!!!!!!! ----- :(
I use a delta 2 speed, quite old now , (1996) . but i think it was a good buy. it is heavy, and does'nt vibrate much at all, the blade changing is also quick and simple,handy when doing a lot of inside cuts.

Gill , when is the Stoneliegh show?
i will be going to Harogate in november, but i havn't heard about Stoneliegh.

Gill
Thanks for that very indepth reply. When I was watching the demo at Yandles I asked the demonstrator what blade he was using his reply a metal one, my reply "smart buttocks do you think I am stupid" which broke the ice as I think they must have had a bit of a bad day :( . He then preceded to give a very thorough demo which was very impressive changing blades to use on a different material (wood to perspex) it took him about 30 seconds to change the blade, his coffee or tea whatever it was not moving. His speed using the machine was a blur at times which goes to show that if you know what you are doing it makes a difference. Listening to your experience being a prolific :lol: :lol: scroller it is a shame you did not see the same demo. If I had seen the same demo as you I would have walked away but now I am confused. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Les

Hi Frank

The Stoneleigh show takes place over 14 - 16 October. This thread might be useful to you, as might this one.

Along with a lot of other members of this forum, I'm aiming to go on the Sunday.

Hi Les - I don't know what more I can add. I've heard dubious reports about the SIP saw online and the demonstration I saw did nothing to allay my fears. Your experience was different and I respect that. At least I hope that the problem areas with some saws that I've outlined earlier will give potential buyers an idea of what faults to beware of.

Gill

Edit: PS 30 seconds to change a blade? That sounds pretty slow to me. I'd be upset with anything that took longer than 15 seconds.

Reading all the posts about what scrollsaw to buy is interesting.....I haven't heard of most of the brands with the exception of Delta and Hegner.....I have scrolled on a Dewalt and a variable speed Delta....Don't remember what series Delta is was.....both had little to no vibration....both were attached to a sturdy table.....I found both to be fairly easy to change blades on after I was shown how......the Delta had the smaller table of the two..it was 16" and the Dewalt was 20". What I drive is not available across the pond but thought I'd toss out a pic of my "Twin" RBI Hawks.
I have not owned any other scrollsaw. (used the Delta and Dewalt at our crollers club meetings) I bought the 20" on the left first and 3.5 years later bought the G4 on the right.....This pic is right after I got the 26" G4......Yes I do use both of them....just not at the same time. My hubby scrolls sometimes also and we no longer fight over who gets to use the saw......I allow him to use which ever one I'm not using at the time. These are my babies and my bread and butter for buying new "Toys"
Thanks for looking...
Lin
twinhawks.jpg

Phil, Just checked out the link that you posted......I know that guy from some other forums.......He and his wife have had several patterns published in the scrollsaw mags....I have cut a few of them I think....nice designs......I believe he even has some patterns in some of the scrolling books I have.......small world....
Lin

Hi Gill,Lin & all,
been out and got my self a camera! :D so i thought i would show you what i've been up to! hav'nt had a lot of time ,so this is it for now, just some of my jigsaws.

31beb557.jpg

all the best ------------- Frank---------

Wow!

Not only are those nicely cut, Frank, but you've got quite a bit of talent with the paintbrush too :) . Thanks ever so much for sharing them with us.

Are the patterns your own?

Gill

Back