Scrollsaw Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Word of warning Gill.......If you let him use your saw.......there will be issues about whose turn it is now.....It happened here....even though it was my saw.....Now I have two saws......I allow him use which ever one I'm not using when he has the need.
The lathe is his but if I want to use it.....guess who wins.......lol
Lin

I think this is a great idea too! I can't wait to see what people come up with! I'm thinking boxes, clocks, and more!

If you need any help, please let me know! I've got a lot of good resources!

Bob Duncan
Associate Editor
Scroll Saw Workshop magazine

I'm pleased you found your way over here Bob. I hope I'm not out of order in revealing that this thread might get a small mention in a future edition of Scroll Saw Workshop. So come on guys - let's do ourselves justice.

Gill

So..... How'd I do :shock:

Scroll_finished.jpg

And a couple of WIP pics just for completness:
Scroll_wip1.jpg

Scroll_wip2.jpg

Made in 9mm thick ash - and kind of small (roughly 100mmx200mm overall) because that's what was lying around! I really enjoyed doing it - thanks for putting up the templates, I might even be tempted to try the chopper!

Les

Well done Les =D> !

That looks really good, much better than mine in fact :) . I'm delighted you've had a go at it.

I take it you didn't have any problems cutting out the roundel? What sort of blades did you use? Roughly how long did it take you to complete it?

I see you used a Delta to cut it out - I've never used one but they're supposed to be nice saws, especially when it comes to changing blades.

I hope you have more success with the chopper than I did. Actually, cutting it wasn't a problem - I enjoyed that. This is how it looked before I started to apply the finish.
ChopperWIP.jpg

What I didn't enjoy was picking up the debris after our workshop gremlin decided to take the completed project for a ride off a high shelf.
ChopperBroke.jpg

Ah well, out with the PVA and nobody'll ever be able to tell. I don't think I'll mount it on a stand - it looks okay without.

If anyone is interested in cutting other subjects, just let me know and I'll see what I can do to provide patterns.

Gill

Les, Wonderful work on the "Spitfire". I really like the wood you "had on hand". Nice grain lines....The blue behind it looks great also. I'm going to try the "chopper" also......I won't be sitting it high on a shelf.....I tend to have shop gremlins also..lol
I to am curious to what blade size and brand you used on the "Spitfire".
All info is helpful to all of us....
Lin

Well I hesitate to post this, but here goes.

Naturally, me being me, I didn't entirely follow the sage advice from the experts. 8-[ F'rinstance my Spitfire is a little smaller, 'cos it would fit the off-cut of 10mm Cherry I had handy. It was either that or it'd never happen at all I fear. :oops: I also totally disregarded the advice about masking tape and went my own way. 8-[ Anyway, it wouldn't be a project report a la Alf if it didn't include a shot of a hand plane; cleaning up the cherry in this case. :wink: Also, for the benefit of the discussion on the Hand Tools board about using candles as a plane lubricant, a shot of what I usually do.

I then immediately departed from the rules and applied a coat of "Patina" finish front and back; the theory being any solvent used to remove the pattern later would be shrugged off by the finish. Some rather elderly UHU spray adhesive still worked, so I glued on the pattern, let it dry, then bored the holes to insert the blade using a 2mm HSS bit. Before you ask, the pink paper isn't 'cos I's a girl, but 'cos it was free. :whistle:

Then I dug out the Delta from its corner and cleaned it up...

...well, most of it.

Eventually I remembered how to get the right tension on the #2 blade (from Axminster, years ago) after only breaking one in the process. :roll: Given Gill's experience I was particularly careful of the first cut round the roundel, but it went okay.

Taking the advice this time, I went straight across and left the sharp corner to negotiate later.

The tail section done and it's all going worryingly well.

Don't speak too soon; I went straight across where I shouldn't have on one bit of the fuselage, #-o and the port wing got a bit bigger than it was supposed to... Never mind, I Airman-ed on (instead of Soldiered, see? Well it is a Spitfire :roll: ) and after an hour got to this point.

The moment of truth, and I peeled off the pattern. The wood was untouched and the Patina didn't object one whit about the white spirit used to remove the glue residue. Result. :D A quick swipe with some abrasive to remove the spelching on the back and the Maxi finally proves useful in providing a background.

It's now in a prime position directly opposite as you enter the workshop. Well it seemed a good place, given the cupboard's full of, erm, planes... :wink:

Gill, Lin et al; I don't know how you do it, I really don't. Perspiration was dripping from my furrowed brow and I was a boss-eyed wreck by the finish. :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf

I'm proud of you! That's a smashing result, and cut with a #2 blade too. They can be rather fragile - you did really well to only break one.

I'm looking closely to see where those errors are that you claimed to make; you're either exaggerating or my spectacles need the sawdust wiping off them again :D.

You'll be pleased to hear that I've got some maple cut (on the tablesaw, as instructed :) ) for the sidetable. The next step is summoning up the courage to subject the legs to a morticer that I've never used before :? . It'll happen some day soon after the weekend. Just as you get anxious about cutting wood with a scrollsaw, I get anxious about cutting wood with other tools :) !

I suppose it's all about familiarity and confidence. The more scrolling you do, the easier it seems to be. And admit it, Alf - it was a rather enjoyable way to dispose of an offcut, wasn't it?

Gill

PS Using pink paper was a good idea - it reduces glare and makes it easier on the eyes. I often use yellow paper for the same reason.

Nice job, Alf, and what an excellent idea to hang it on your plane cupboard (only one plane cupboard? :shock: ).

Interesting use for Patina, too.

Cheers,

Trev.

Gill":37rdnz2r said:
Using pink paper was a good idea - it reduces glare and makes it easier on the eyes. I often use yellow paper for the same reason.

And my wife finds orange paper (or overlays) easiest for reading (not that you'd ever know judging by the number of shelves I need to build) - something to do with it helping dyslexics...

Pete

Gill":3s65bjjw said:
I'm looking closely to see where those errors are that you claimed to make; you're either exaggerating or my spectacles need the sawdust wiping off them again :D.
Don'tcha just love the way the camera lies like that? :D

Just as you get anxious about cutting wood with a scrollsaw, I get anxious about cutting wood with other tools :) !
I get anxious about cutting wood with anything. 8-[]

And admit it, Alf - it was a rather enjoyable way to dispose of an offcut, wasn't it?
Yep. Right up there with champing on a piece while someone saws your leg off without anaesthetic... :wink: Oops, I wasn't supposed to say that was I? :-# :lol: I wonder if maybe I fret too much as it is...? <groan>

trevtheturner":3s65bjjw said:
only one plane cupboard? :shock:
Don't be daft, Trev. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf, very nice. Are you going to have a go at the motorbike as well?

I got as far as taking the patterns to the workshop last night and fully intended to start but was greeted by a puddle of water surrounding the dehumidifier - see off topic post.

Andy

Alf, Super job on the spitfire. I to had trouble finding any of the errors you spoke of......I know that doing something you haven't ever done or not done for a while is WORK......When I jump on something new, even something new on the scrollsaw.....I start worrying before I even make the first cut that I will mess up. I have come to love the idea that once that pattern is taken off.......Noone but me knows which line I didn't stay on..... :lol:
Hope you find the time to give a go at the "motorbike".....
My best laid plans last week-end to cut it.....were put on hold with company showing up for the day...
Just think of the beautiful fretwork overlays that you could cut for your tables and such. A few more of these pattern challenges and you will feel more comfortable with it.
Patina........Now who would have thought. You just may be onto something here.......??
Glad you posted. I enjoyed looking...
Lin

Finally found a bit of time to cut the "Chopper".....so here it is. I used a 1" thick piece of cherry and a #7R Olson Precision Ground blade. I went with the larger blade and precision ground becasue of the thickness and hardness of the cherry. I couldn't make the really tight, tight turns so I cut to the turn then backed up a bit then turned around in the waste and backed up to into my cut to come out of it. Worked out really well. I only used one blade on the piece and that blade mowed right thru the cherry with only a slight burn mark here and there on the turns I did make as a spin. The blade didn't try to bow on me at all. Think I'll use them a bit more often.....
Lin
choppercherry.jpg

Lin,

Very nice. :D

I have still to order some decent blades for my cheap scroll saw, but I do have some cherry so the tuit creeps almost into view. :whistle:

My chopper was last seen being ridden by my 12" tall friends Ken and Barbie who needed wheels to get to a picnic over at Dave L's.

8)

Picnic.jpg

Gill

Latest posts

Back