Scrollsaw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just browsed Pedrofret's excellent website (which left me awestruck) I was reminded that the Flying Dutchman brand of scrollsaw blades are highly regarded in the US. I've never tried these before but I've placed an order for a variety of different types and it'll be interesting to see how they perform in comparison with my generic jewellers blades.

I'll keep you posted.

Gill

PS - these blades are available at www.mikesworkshop.com

Gill, I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Have you used Hegner's own reverse tooth blades? Any comments on how they performed. I have been using them alomost since I got the saw and am pleased with the results in thin ply and hardwoods.

Perhaps when you get the Flying Dutchman blades you could do an Alf style kerf review?

Andy

Hi Andy

No, I haven't used Hegner's own reverse tooth blades. I went to their stand at the Midlands show a couple of years ago and asked if they had any blades like that, only to be sent away by the bloke running the stall. He told me, in a very loud voice, that there was no such thing as a reverse tooth blade, nor a skip tooth blade. The stand was crowded at the time and everyone stared at me - it was very embarrassing. I knew the bloke was a . but it was difficult to show it on the spot because it would have been the word of a punter against an apparent 'expert' :x .

Yes, I was thinking it might be an idea to run a cutting trial similar to Alf's. I'll also have to get some blades from B&Q or similar to run a proper comparison and use a variety of materials. It should be interesting. If anyone knows of any other blades they'd like me test, let me know which ones and where they're available.

I was delighted to learn that the Arnold Laver website shows them as having 1.5mm and 2.0mm thick Finnish Birch plywood (111 grade, whatever that means :?: ) and they have a depot nearby in Kidderminster :). I'll have to pay them a visit.

Oh happy day! I've just had a phone call from the driver of the waggon that's delivering my new workshop, asking for directions :) .

Gill

Gill,
I can remember when I bought mine the chap on the Hegner stand was lacking somewhat in the charm department and tried to convinve me that I would never need the finest blades - I bought them against his advice!

I referred to them as Hegner blades as I bought them from their stand at Ally Pally probably 5 or so years ago. Having just looked at Hegner's website I can see that the are probably not made by them.

I can send you a few if you like.

Good news on the workshop front I trust that it will all be up, fitted out and nice and cosy before dark!

Andy

Gill":3mcjnh59 said:
Yes, I was thinking it might be an idea to run a cutting trial similar to Alf's.
Just try and not get sucked into drawing conclusions... :wink:

Gill":3mcjnh59 said:
Oh happy day! I've just had a phone call from the driver of the waggon that's delivering my new workshop, asking for directions :) .
Huzzah! :D :D :D

Cheers, Alf

Gill":3atxi2qu said:

Gill

Hi Gill, great news :D just make sure the roof is securely fixed :twisted:

John

Back