Scrolling - Scroll Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davethesax

Reaction score
Hello all. I have just joined the club :)
I have just purchased a Jet JSS-16 variable speed Fretsaw and find it disappointing mainly due to severe vibration on speeds above 800spm also gaining access to the lower blade clamp is difficult particularly when fitting pinless blades. :(
I realise that at £110 this is not the most expensive of machines but I would have expected more from a Swiss manufacturer.
I’m thinking of upgrading to a Proxxon DS 230/D Fretsaw or though quite a bit dearer a Proxxon DSH 2 speed Fretsaw
Any comments would be appreciated :?
Regards David

always makes me smile when folks get vibration problems, not because i am like that, its mainly because they buy a scroll saw and they think they have to have it flat out all the time, i cut shedloads of stuff and rarely have mine more than half the speed of the saws capability. Make sure you have it on solid foundations before running off to purchase something else, as this help eliminate a lot of the vibration.
As for the Proxxon i have never used one, but i here their stuff is good, depends what you wish to cut..

stevebuk":2mzwrry9 said:
...they buy a scroll saw and they think they have to have it flat out all the time, i cut shedloads of stuff and rarely have mine more than half the speed of the saws capability.
Ditto :lol: . That said, there's nowt wrong with a single speed Hegner :) .

stevebuk":2mzwrry9 said:
Make sure you have it on solid foundations... as this help eliminate a lot of the vibration.
If in doubt, run the machine on a concrete floor and see how much vibration there is - it will give you a useful benchmark. A heavy duty machine should exhibit minimal vibration whereas something more lightweight might still be a bit bouncy. If so, clamp the saw to something solid (for instance, a table or a workbench) and weight whatever it is mounted on with bags of sand, compost or similar to add mass. If the saw still vibrates after all that, pass it on to someone you don't like :twisted: .

I've never used a Proxxon saw so it is difficult to advise. However, I would have thought an upgrade would mean heading in the direction of scrolling's acknowledged big beasts, the likes of Hegner or Excalibur. I must say the DS 230/E looks very curious to me. Surely it isn't a parallel arm saw? I find myself wondering if it might even be electromagnetic, in which case it will vibrate severely and have minimal cutting power.

Latest posts

Back