Scroll Saw ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a scroll saw in the £150 bracket. I own the Ferm effort but it's pants when trying to cut through anything over 1/2" ?

Cheers.

Richard,
I can't recall if I have seen you mention a bandsaw but if you are seeking to cut stuff over half an inch it might be better done on a bandsaw. I realise that for inside cuts you have to put up with cutting and maybe regluing an entry point and that is perhaps unacceptable.

A bandsaw with a one eighth blade can turn a right angle easily and overall is nicer to use than a struggling budget scrollsaw (really good ones costing close to £1000!)

Of course it depends totally on what you want to cut :)

Chris, I don't think I've mentioned a bandsaw recently probably because unfortunately again I chose, before I knew better, another 'Ferm' tool, a bandsaw. The cast iron table was uneven so the fence wouldn't sit straight, the table adjustment screw seized which required the use of a hacksaw, mole grips and lots of &^%$ to get it to 45 degrees. The list goes on and that is why I am not and never again will be, a 'Ferm' fan!

Rant aside, I agree, a bandsaw would be a better option now that I come to think of it. Cutting width is the problem and with my budget it's not easy to solve unless I spot a 'do it up' bargain online somewhere :)

I need to cut 6"w x1"d x various lengths rough sawn timber.

Richard,

Oh dear - sounds like you fell into the classic trap - we've all done it at some point.

To be honest, I am not quite clear exactly what you need to cut but it sounds like a job for a handsaw. A properly sized saw need not be expensive and will cut easily and accurately.

I know it's not what you want to do but I at a country fair a few years ago, I witnessed a couple of experts saw through an eighteen inch log with a two man saw in SEVEN seconds! Mind you, the teeth on that saw were as big as my fingers.

I have a nice Rexon scroll saw that I have used to cut through 1 1/2" meranti last night with no problems at all.

Highly recommended and won't break the bank

Cheers

Tony

Sorry Chris, I didn't make it clear at all :roll: I really need to do some scroll saw type work with that thickness/width of timber. The problem with a bandsaw compared to a scroll is throat width but now that Tony has mention his Rexon and that it will handle more than the size I need to cut through I'll check out the specs.

Cheers both.

Back