Scroll saw type

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Huxley

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a scroll saw mostly to be used on Love spoons, I have been looking at used Hegners and find the single speed go much cheaper, could someone please advise me if the single speed machine would be o'k and what are the disadvantages over the variable speed. I would need to make some quite delicate cuts on some of the love spoon patterns.
I am new to scrolling and any advise would be much appreciated
Many thanks Dave

Hi Dave.

I personally would ever have a single speed machine. I feel to be successful with the scroll saw a variable speed machine is essential for two main reasons, one is it all depends on what you are cutting and the secondly the size of the blade you are using. As you are cutting love spoons I would imagine you are using hardwoods, maybe half an inch thick, maybe thicker on some as I resume you may be adding some carving as well. I find in general that the harder the wood and the thicker it is so the larger the blade and slower the speed. At this moment in time I am making some coasters from half inch Ash and cutting the outside shape I am using a number 7 blade to help maintain straight lines easier and for the cut outs in the corners of the rectangular shape I am using a number 3 blade as there are tight turns to be made. I am also using a slower speed on cutting out the coasters from the plank and a faster speed for the cut outs. When I first started i ruined a few pieces by not matching the blade with the speed but I soon learnt. If you are going to sped that amount of money on a scroll saw why not invest in an Excalibur, oneof the finest saws money can buy and a lot cheaper than an hegner.

Many thanks Geoff for your very helpful advice, you mentioned things I never considered and I will certainly take your advice and will be having a look at the Excaliber,my lathe is variable speed and would never go back to changing belts, but having never used a scroll saw I'm glad I sought advice before taking the cheaper option.
Once again a big thank you for going to the trouble of explaining this to me in so much detail.
Regards Dave

I'm glad to have helped Dave. I to do wood turning and like you I have a variable speed lathe, it is so handy and I know it would be very frustrating having to change the belt every time I wanted to sand an item or just slow the speed down for another operation. When I first started on the scroll saw I was always on here asking questions and they are a really nice bunch of people so when you make a start please ask as many questions as you like as we are always here to help.

Latest posts

Back