Scroll saw location Dewalt DW788

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all, am trying to locate the dewalt 20" SCROLL SAW with no luck
can anyone offer advice on where i can locate one ( if not ) a similar model.
All the best

I always thought this saw wasn't available in the UK, but tonight I think I might have found one here. Make sure you've got a suitable power supply or a transformer ;) :) !

Gill

Too bad we're half the world apart. I just placed mine for sale here in the US...$300 US and with the exchange rate would have been inexpensive!

Mike

Can i ask why you are selling what seems to be the number #1 scroll saw in the reviews i have seen.
Have you found a better model ( pos available in u.k ) :D
Would you consider shipping to u.k ? :shock:
All the best

cabby-44":21iehmfl said:
Can i ask why you are selling what seems to be the number #1 scroll saw in the reviews i have seen.
It's worse than that. He's been selling planes too. :shock:

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Cheers, Alf

It's worse than that. He's been selling planes too.
...and saws and lay out tools, oh my!

Heck, I've got a few more items up for sale now, like a MF router plane in minty condition (in box). And a #20 circular plane...and maybe even a #55. Not quite sure about that. We'll see.

But just to even things out, there's been a lot of power equipment gone out the door...and two more pieces, other than the DeWalt Scroll saw, to go.

Hi Cabby. It is a very nice scroll saw.

I purchased it when my grandaughter was interested in using it. The interest didn't last and while I've used it some, it has sat collecting regular dust instead of making sawdust.

I would be glad to ship it anywhere, at actual cost...but make sure it is cost effective with the shipping and if there are taxes and the like that you would still make out OK.

If you wish to calculate the shipping, my US zipcode is 97116. Feel free to email me should you want to do this after figuring the full costs to you. I'd feel really bad if it ended up costing you more than you thought it would.

Take care, Mike

Hi! New to scroll saws, only had a couple of goes on my dad's Aldi bargain saw but I've already been bitten by the scroll bug and would like a much better saw.
I'm also failing to find the Dewalt 788. Thanks for the link Gill but when I added to the shopping cart it disappeared. Also it was very expensive compared to the US price (£390 vs $400), I was hoping it would be about £250! I know this question comes up a lot but could anybody end my frustration and suggest a good saw that has:
variable speed
minimal vibration
takes all kinds of blades
Great for cutting intricate jigsaw puzzles
as deep a throat as possible
can't really pay more than £300, probably £200 would be a more sensible amount!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :D

You will not go wrong with an hegner

It's the only one I have ever used so others are better placed for comparitive comments and I have the single speed ( my only regret)

Andy
ps welcome to the forum

Im not to sure on DeWalt scroll saws but i have noticed a decline in their other tools quality , i.e ones they took over from Elu . I for one will not replace any of my broken / burnt out tools with DeWalt . For hand held power tools i now go for Hilti or Makita and for shop tools i don't think you can go far wrong with Record .

Hi Whippet

Welcome to the forum indeed :) !

I'd be very wary of buying a De Walt scrollsaw in this country because De Walt does not officially export them to the UK or provide service. The link I provided was to a retailer which carries them, but I'm suspicious that the 'grey market' may be operating here.

The suggestion of a Hegner is a good one because Hegner still sets the standard for quality scrollsaws in the UK. Until this summer I would have recommended Hegner without hesitation but there have been so many new developments recently that it would be foolish not to consider alternatives. The Hegner 1 is a very good, reliable machine and it won't let you down but at £350 for the variable speed model, I'd look to save up for the Multicut 2S at £509 which has a very useful facility on the top arm to ease blade tension.

Moreover, I'd also consider saws such as the new Axminster AWFS 18 which looks soooo much like a Hegner Multicut2S clone at about half the price. I'd love to get to a show and actually have a close look at one.

TheSIP 16" saw has recently been modified and at a price of £55, it's a bargain; there are members of this forum who have recently acquired one. You'll probably be able to get a SIP even cheaper if you visit their ubiquitous stand at a woodwork show.

For a number of years, the Delta 40-570 and models from the same range have dominated the middle market, so it might be worth considering this proven workhorse.

Another model to consider would be the new Jet JSS-16.

The scrollsaw market seems to be very dynamic at present. If I was looking to buy a saw myself, I think I'd probably opt for the SIP if I was being economical, the AWFS 18 if I was prepared to gamble on a relatively new mid-priced saw (or the Delta 40-570 if I wanted something with a proven track record), or a Hegner Multicut2S if I was looking to buy something which would be heavily used.

For what it's worth, I've got several scrollsaws (including a Hegner 1) and the Hegner Multicut2S is my 'go to' machine.

Gill

out of interest Gill, why do you need more than one saw?

I have more than one scrollsaw, I have more than one router, I have more than one screwdriver, I have more than one tooth (thanks to some pretty nifty dental work this afternoon - ouch).

Okay... if you're sitting comfortably, dear reader, I shall begin. As many of you will know, I came to scrollsawing through marquetry, looking for a method to speed up the process. I wasn't a woodworker and I had no woodworking tools nor anywhere to accommodate them because I was in the air force at the time. So, knowing nothing, I bought a cheap Spiralux magnetic scrollsaw. I found it was pretty useless at cutting veneers but I did enjoy cutting out little plywood or MDF shapes and making jewellery with it. (At one stage, I had a profitable little sideline going in ear rings and engraved glasses, but that's another story).

On my discharge from the service I decided to upgrade and buy the saw that all the woodwork magazines recommended - a Hegner. At last, I thought, I'd have a machine that could cope with marquetry. It was a single speed Hegner 1 and it was a marvellous improvement on the Spiralux, but it was still not the right beast for marquetry. However, it assisted my ear ring production enormously and sales in the local area boomed. Time passed and I had to take a break from woodwork for various reasons to attend more pressing matters.

A number of years later I found myself with an opportunity to return to scrolling but when I tried to use my saw I found that it had suffered from being stored in a place that was too damp for it. Moreover, my puppy had taken an irrational dislike to it and chewed up some key components. My partner had some time owing to him from work so, rather than go to the trouble of arranging a courier to return the saw to Hegner for servicing, we decided to take it ourselves and have a long weekend at the nearby seaside. I hadn't been with my partner for very long at the time. When we entered Hegner's premises, he saw me start gazing over the range of new saws as he carried my bedraggled little old machine to the service engineer. We left the machine overnight and that evening I described the merits of the other machines we had seen. He gave the matter a little thought then suggested it would be a good idea if I got a new model :D . So we returned to Hegner and picked up my old machine (which, for £20, had been completely overhauled and now looked like new :) ) plus a Multicut2S with variable speed.

The other saw I have is a reconditioned Diamond AF19. For a number of years I'd heard rumours on the 'Murrican scrollsaw forums that "the best saw in the world" was the British Diamond and that it was such a pity that the saw was no longer made. A few months ago I learned that the Diamond was not only still in production, but the manufacturer operated within travelling distance :D. These saws are very expensive and way beyond my means, but when an opportunity to buy one came up on eBay, I grabbed it. Unfortunately, the saw did not work when it was delivered so I took it to the manufacturer to have it serviced (I've posted about this elsewhere). As a result, I now have four scrollsaws, one of which I haven't got used to yet (the Diamond), one of which is my dearest mechanical friend in the whole wide world (the Hegner 2), one of which is my back up saw and very useful for lending to people who want to know more about scrolling (the Hegner 1) and one of which is practically useless for the work I now produce but is still very useful for children or people who are fearful of machinery because it's impossible to cut yourself on a Spiralux.

So now you know :) .

Still with me?

A few months ago I learned that the veneers which are generally on sale in the UK are too thin to be suitable for cutting with a scrollsaw; those sold in America are thicker and therefore quite suitable. Not that it matters now - I prefer scrolling to marquetry.

Gill

Thanks very much for all the advice, I'll be having a closer look at all the models suggested. :D I have looked closely at the Delta but my only concern is that it's a C-arm saw (I think), and I read somewhere that this gives a less accurate cut - not sure if this is true though. I like the idea of going to a woodwork fair to get a closer look and maybe cheaper machine. Does anybody know of any upcoming events in or near North Wales or perhaps a place I could find out?
Cheers!

Just found this!
:) November 25-27
North of England Woodworking Show, Great Yorkshire Showground, Harrogate.
Hopefully the source of an early Christmas pressie :ho2
Had a look through the program and no mention of Axminster which is a shame, but hopefully they'll be hiding somewhere.

thanks for the info Gill, sorry I didnt reply sooner. This thread seemed to slip me by.

I see what you mean tho, I have 2 routers and it's in my mind to buy another. Don't talk to me about how many cook's knives I have! :wink:

Hi Whippet

You're right about 'C' arms - they have a back and forth motion as well as a vertical one and this does produce a degree of inaccuracy. It also places more stress on the blade, especially if space is restricted such as when tight turns are being cut . Nowadays, most saws have parallel arms and I think you'll find this is true of the Delta too.

I believe there are still Rexons being sold with 'C' arms, though (unless there's a Rexon owner out there who knows better ;) :)).

WiZeR - I find that two Sabatier 8" knives, one Sabatier 4" knife and a Victorinox cleaver are all I need to control my kitchen :). The Tormek is fabulous for sharpening them!

Gill

I have an exhaustive range of Global Knives, plus a good combo of sabatier and victorinox.. I have some 'exotics' too (Japanese/Chinese and even a vietnamese!)

I think my missus is glad i have shifted my hobby interest to woodworking.. the kitchen was begining to look a bit scary with all those knives on display!

And I only really use 2 knives! The Global Cooks knife and the Global Utility. :roll:

Back