Scroll saw dust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

It's me again with another question. I am setting up a sort of workshop in a second bedroom that will be used for a number of operations. I am also a wood turner so will be doing a lot of finishing and polishing and there will be a number of machines in there as well. A lot of the available space will be devoted to scroll saw work with the scroll saw mounted on a very sturdy bench and all of this is going to happen in about three weeks time when I get the scroll saw. I am disabled with a bad back problem and sometimes I have to work from a wheelchair but for most of the time I have a special stool that i can use and prefer but now i am getting away from the question. I was wondering what sort of dust I would get from the fret saw and would it warrant getting a fine dust extractor taking into account I will probably be on it about six hours a day. If you experienced folk feel I would need an extractor how about the Numatic NV750 from Axminster that comes with 51mm hose and could I easily connect this to the scroll saw. My other question is if anyone has this type of extractor is how much noise would it make, would it be comparable to a household vacuum cleaner. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Geoff

As you will know fine dust can be a killer so when working with ANY dust personal protection is essential

I use a Trend airshield as it does 2 jobs , filters dust and when turning gives a degree of facial protection from flying objects

I also use a Jet and microclean filters hanging up , running all the time I am in the workshop

As well as a big cyclone ,

All I can advise is use as much as you can afford as it all cheaper than new lungs

Thanks Blister. There is no way I am going to take any risk. Just trying to work out the economics with the amount of money available. If I go for the Excalibur I will have to downgrade on the extractor I was going to get but I am still getting the Jet air filter but even so I will wear a mask if I can see the extraction not being as efficient as I would hope. I think the main problem I will experience is fitting the 51mm hose to the dust port on the scroll saw. I wont know what size it is until I actually get it and then it will be a matter of contacting Axy or someone else to see if i can get a reducer to fir the saw. Thanks Blister.

Back