Scroll saw cutting depths???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIXXERROB

Reaction score
Hi...I'm new to this wood working malarkey and recently got into making stocks for airguns by hand..im keen to speed this process up with a scroll saw...so my question is this.. will a scroll saw with a cutting depth of 50mm actually cut American Ash that's 50mm thick...can't find any saws with a deeper cut in my price range ....thanks in advance

Simple answer. No it won't.
Buy a band saw.
Unless you are doing skeleton stocks and even then a scroll saw is the wrong tool for the job.

My first attempt with just hand tools and a dremmel

Attachments

• received_882654072475836.jpeg
    received_882654072475836.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 47
Bear in mind that you won't be able to do internal cuts with a bandsaw but it would be better for the outside shape.
Looks good for first attempt.

Bandsaw and... an Oscillating bobbin sander - which is a bloody godsend :cool:

I'd used one in industry in a small makers shop and eventually got a scheppach one for home use, and it is extremely handy and worth it as much as any bit of kit i own.

Last edited:
What the others said, I have a bandsaw as well as a Hegner scroll saw and there's no comparison for that type of project.

I'd be very interested in any work in progress info as I have a Weihrauch HW97KT with a synthetic stock and have often though of making and alternative one for decent hardwood.
I'm a reasonable carver and have the tools as well as dremel and Fordom so all the gear but no idea.:)

Is the uk Chinese air gun forum still going?

I built a couple of stocks for the victorys predecessor the xs78.

Don't have time to play these days though.

What the others said, I have a bandsaw as well as a Hegner scroll saw and there's no comparison for that type of project.

I'd be very interested in any work in progress info as I have a Weihrauch HW97KT with a synthetic stock and have often though of making and alternative one for decent hardwood.
I'm a reasonable carver and have the tools as well as dremel and Fordom so all the gear but no idea.:)
I'm making one for a hw77...found a cheap suplier of decent American Ash walnut cherry etc...the first stock I did wasn't to complicated but this one is abit more challenging

Woodwork and airguns,,,Ive just taken delivery of my first HW35K it arrived yesterday,,not new but “new to me” as they say,,,planning on a strip down and clean before useing it. Its to replace a borrowed Webley Eclipse and my old BSA Meteor,,since taking an interest in airguns Ive noticed quite a number of posts about people making custom stocks and its clearly quite a popular and interesting idea,,good luck and be interesting to see how you get on.

Woodwork and airguns,,,Ive just taken delivery of my first HW35K it arrived yesterday,,not new but “new to me” as they say,,,planning on a strip down and clean before useing it. Its to replace a borrowed Webley Eclipse and my old BSA Meteor,,since taking an interest in airguns Ive noticed quite a number of posts about people making custom stocks and its clearly quite a popular and interesting idea,,good luck and be interesting to see how you get on.
Its because of lock down and furlough...airgun sales shot up and people are bored....ill do this hw77 if it goes aswell as my cp2 one ill try one for my r10 but there's some serious milling to do on that....its way beyond my skills but the ash is cheap so it'll give me something to do

I forgot to say that my renewed intrest in airguns was brought about by our local Rat population leaping up,,,the commercial rat catchers have been constantly around the area but we had 3 jumping around in the garden in the summer and quite used to people too,,I shot 12 that time and 5 or 6 on another. I dont like the idea of poisons, apparantly a slow and painfull death, and shooting has proved to be a very humain way of reduceing their numbers and has worked me.

Thats the exact reason I got back into shooting...we had an infestation a few years back in our rank of houses...they were everywhere even in a neighbours kitchen...been keeping the numbers down...its good sport

No bikes now ..they hurt too much lol
I would have one now but I have my wife and the kids pleading with me,,,Im very taken with the big Kawasaki W series bikes, bevel drive OHC parallel twins with some very nice italian bits and bobs available,,,not fast but quick enough,,my mate has one and Im very envious.

I would have one now but I have my wife and the kids pleading with me,,,Im very taken with the big Kawasaki W series bikes, bevel drive OHC parallel twins with some very nice italian bits and bobs available,,,not fast but quick enough,,my mate has one and Im very envious.
I had a gsxr1000k2 that was stupidly quick with some subtle tuning bits and a tl1000s before that which was a torque monster...I do miss bikes but the reflexes aren't as good as they were...been a decade since I've ridden don't think it would end well if i rid again lol

Back