Scroll Saw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alec

Established Member
Reaction score
Gents and of course Ladies, I have just been given a Powercraft PKZ400N scroll saw from a mate who was clearing out his garage. I appreciate it is the cheaper end of the scroll saw market but I can't find any info regarding blade size as there is no manual, i would appreciate if someone could advise on the size of blade I require. Many thanks - Alec

First of all there are pinned and plain blades - what does your saw take? Then, the type and size of the blades you need will depend on the work. The more intricate the work, the smaller the blade you will need. The bigger the blade the less sharp they will turn. The brand of blade is a personal choice. I prefer Olson, usually #2 skip tooth reverse. I do a lot of very intricate work and quite often go as low as a #2/0 ST reverse. I also like the Flying Dutchman ultra reverse for more open work. As I say, you will have to first find out whether it takes pinned or not first. As you don't have a manual probably the quickest way to find out is to check out what holds the blades in place. If it takes pinned blades there will be a holder where the pins on the blade hook on to. If it takes plain, there will be clamps. Have you tried finding a manual on line?
Hope this helps.

Noel

I also have just aquired a Powercraft 240v PFZ-400R scroll saw at auction no manual and no blades. The manual can be downloaded as a pdf file from POWER CRAFT PFZ-400RN USER MANUAL Pdf Download. However it does not give a dimension of the blade length to use, so I am also trying to find this out. It is I think a pinned blade type from what I can find out but the original does come with a mods kit to make them unpinned from what I understand. If anyone knows what the length of blades are used I would appreciate the info.

I may be wrong as I've only recently wandered into scroll sawing myself but the length of the blade is fairly standard. It's the depth and tooth type that vary depending on the thickness of the wood you want to cut.

I also have just aquired a Powercraft 240v PFZ-400R scroll saw at auction no manual and no blades. The manual can be downloaded as a pdf file from POWER CRAFT PFZ-400RN USER MANUAL Pdf Download. However it does not give a dimension of the blade length to use, so I am also trying to find this out. It is I think a pinned blade type from what I can find out but the original does come with a mods kit to make them unpinned from what I understand. If anyone knows what the length of blades are used I would appreciate the info.
Looks like a fairly typical scroll saw to me. The vast majority use what are described as 5" blades although from memory that is the distance between pins (if there are pins), the overall length is actually perhaps 1/4" longer. There are odd exceptions but that saw doesn't look like one. A quick glance at the manual suggests the original plain end adapters take the form of a rod with a through hole and a grub screw through the end to secure the blade. This is slightly atypical these days, most saws of that ilk use adapters similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/WNJ-TOOL-Scroll-Blades-Holders-Clamps/dp/B0BPBR7FS6 often with a couple of setting recesses in the top arm to help get the spacing right.

I did a cheat and contacted someone who has one for sale on gumtree and asked what length size were the blades. He sent me a picture of the pack of blades which said they were 127mm in length

There's a sticky at the top of the Scroll Saws section with a LOT of info on what blades to use for what jobs. There are also downloadable tables showing the - huge - range of blades available. AND some of the (many) sources where blades can be bought.

HTH

Edit for P.S. From what I can see of your machine, it's the same as 99% of all the other scroll saws - it takes a "standard" 5 inch blade. The only exceptions I know of for sure are Dremel and Proxxon. Without downloading the Manual I can't see whether your machine does both pinned and pinless blades. But if not, Axminster Tools - among others - offer simple "converters" to take both pinned and pinless.

Again HTH

Last edited:
Back