Scroll Saw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Been gifted a Wickes 16” Scroll Saw by a relative and was wondering if anyone could share any knowledge of what blades would be suitable for it and places where I could possibly by them.

Cheers

You are probably best to post a photo of your saw, the 16" Wickes saws I have seen are a fairly basic machine, its a machine sold under various retailers badges, including Wickes

It may only take pinned blades but let us see a picture of it to get better advice

Either way I would recommend Pegas blades, in either pinned or pinless (if your machine can take them)

The attached blade chart gives a rough idea for various thickness of material

As mentioned above, get your blades from Axminster, they do mail order and the service is good

I would advise against buying from DIY stores or ebay etc, the generic blades are a lot thicker, rougher and more difficult to use than a good blade like Pegas (and Pegas are often cheaper)

Hello all,

Been gifted a Wickes 16” Scroll Saw by a relative and was wondering if anyone could share any knowledge of what blades would be suitable for it and places where I could possibly by them.

Cheers

Attachments

• Clip235.jpg
    Clip235.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 19
You are probably best to post a photo of your saw, the 16" Wickes saws I have seen are a fairly basic machine, its a machine sold under various retailers badges, including Wickes

It may only take pinned blades but let us see a picture of it to get better advice

Either way I would recommend Pegas blades, in either pinned or pinless (if your machine can take them)

The attached blade chart gives a rough idea for various thickness of material

As mentioned above, get your blades from Axminster, they do mail order and the service is good

I would advise against buying from DIY stores or ebay etc, the generic blades are a lot thicker, rougher and more difficult to use than a good blade like Pegas (and Pegas are often cheaper)

I’ve attached some photos, thanks for the chart. i’m looking at Pegas on axminster but still unaware of what length to get, I’m probably just gonna get in touch with Wickes.

Attachments

• 992B4C8A-41C2-4FB2-95D8-7141C2D166AB.jpeg
    992B4C8A-41C2-4FB2-95D8-7141C2D166AB.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 37B68C66-74EF-4CC5-B1EA-EFA49D65BC3E.jpeg
    37B68C66-74EF-4CC5-B1EA-EFA49D65BC3E.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 8
You don't need to worry about blade length to all intents and purposes they are all the same size

Dremel mot saws take a smaller blade but you haven't got one of those

Apart from the very odd industrial machine scroll saw blades are 5" or approx 127mm / 130mm

Thanks for the link! still trying to figure out what length of blade I need :unsure:

The machine you have is a basic one sold by many under a variety of retail labels

It is all but obsolete but you don't need to worry over that

It tales pinned blades as standard but can take pinless with two adaptors
(see attached) you may already have them?

They are not the easiest to use (ie a bit fiddly to set up each blade compared to better machine) but are usable

The reason most people get a more expensive or better machine is for ease of blade change

But your machine will enable you to do a large variety of projects

NB pinless blades enable you to do much finer inside cuts and are about half the price of pinned blades

I’ve attached some photos, thanks for the chart. i’m looking at Pegas on axminster but still unaware of what length to get, I’m probably just gonna get in touch with Wickes.

Attachments

• Draper hanger style blade clamps.jpg
    Draper hanger style blade clamps.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 10

Wow! thank you for the help knot 👍🏻 it does look very similar to my model so i’ll keep that manual link saved somewhere handy.

. . . and the same machine was also badged as Performance Power for sale at B&Q - I bought mine from Gumtree for £10 - excellent for basic stuff, which is all I need. Pinned blades are no big deal to fit/use once you get the hang of them.

Yes it was sold under a variety of retail badges (much like most of the machines sold today under say £250

I presume you mean pinless blades are no big deal to fit ? as pinned blades are very simple

One thing to note on the model pictured is you can use a pinned blade sideways on this saw, which can come in handy if you have a long workpiece

They are still an adequate saw for a lot of things as you say

. . . and the same machine was also badged as Performance Power for sale at B&Q - I bought mine from Gumtree for £10 - excellent for basic stuff, which is all I need. Pinned blades are no big deal to fit/use once you get the hang of them.

And there's also a sticky at the top of this Scroll Saw section with a number of downloadable charts showing a selection of blades - mainly Pegas brand (available from Axminster Tools), plus some other brands - plus a general usage chart showing what type & size of blade to choose for whatever job you're doing.

Should get you started off OK.

And BTW, your machine uses "standard length" blades, so no worries about that (only a couple of "odd ball" machines use blades of a different length, and yours isn't one of them, so "easy peasy").

HTH

Yes it was sold under a variety of retail badges (much like most of the machines sold today under say £250

I presume you mean pinless blades are no big deal to fit ? as pinned blades are very simple

One thing to note on the model pictured is you can use a pinned blade sideways on this saw, which can come in handy if you have a long workpiece

They are still an adequate saw for a lot of things as you say

Some people suggest that they find pinned blades tricky to fit - hence my comment . . and the ability to fit a blade "sideways" is useful. I've certainly had my £10 worth from my machine!

Back