Scroll Saw Blade confusion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matted

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Picked up a super cheap scroll saw - the Naerok 16 for a tenner!

It all works, but the blade is old and needs changing, but like all things, it seems to be more complex than it should be!

The blade that's in there at the moment is pinned, and its 165mm from pin to pin.

Looking online I can't find an obvious replacement - someone mentioned it could be a coping saw blade, but looking for "scroll saw" blades just brings up non pinned and shorter blades.

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi All,

It all works, but the blade is old and needs changing, but like all things, it seems to be more complex than it should be!

The blade that's in there at the moment is pinned, and its 165mm from pin to pin.

Looking online I can't find an obvious replacement - someone mentioned it could be a coping saw blade, but looking for "scroll saw" blades just brings up non pinned and shorter blades.

A google does not find your Naerok 16 scroll saw, are you sure of the name?

Hi Naerok is Korean spelt backwards and I have come across this branding on cheap woodworking equipment (lathes) They make generic machines that others rebadge. I suspect the Clarke 16 scroll saw might be the same -- google looksee or look at the well known online auction places

Hi Naerok is Korean spelt backwards and I have come across this branding on cheap woodworking equipment (lathes) They make generic machines that others rebadge. I suspect the Clarke 16 scroll saw might be the same -- google looksee or look at the well known online auction places

Thats interesting, I have never come across the brand or used name Naerok and at first did not find a scroll saw of that branding but a search for just Naerok machine brought up lathes, band saws etc and in one image a scroll saw (not sure that wouldn't come up in a search

Further searching found two Naerok scroll saws, both are the same as many low end saws sold under a variety of badging, and both take standard pinned scroll saw blades which I suspect the OPs does as well

Hi All,

Do you have a photo of your machine to be better able to help you

I suspect your machine is the same or similar to many other low end saws and should take standard pinned blades

Despite whats been said on pinned blades you can still do a lot with them, pinless are far better of course and you saw might be able to be adapted, a photo would help though

+1 for whatnot says above.

With all due respect to Dominik Pierog (above) it is just NOT true that pinned blades are "rubbish, waste of money". Many people can - and do - produce excellent work using only pinned blades, and some scroll saws will NOT accept pinless blades (not sure about your machine, don't know it, waiting for you to post a pic).

Pinless blades ARE MUCH easier to use than pinned, and for some of the work that Dominik himself posts here (for example his very fine and delicate fretwork, almost like lace) I would call pinless virtually essential.

But make no mistake, pinned blades CAN be used to produce very good results in MANY classes of scroll sawing, and for more general work too.

Axminster Tools are UK stockists of the Swiss made Pegas brand blades, and also both Hobbies Ltd UK and Hegner UK sell a wide range of blades. Pegas' range includes both pinned and pinless blades in a wide variety of sizes/TPI/tooth form/thickess, including blades for cutting thin sheet metal.

From the above you WILL find blades to suit whatever work you're going to do, and IF "we" find out that "we" can't see a way to convert your machine to accept pinless blades, don't worry mate, you can do a helluva lot with pinned blades!

@Dominik Pierog: I have a great deal of respect for the work you have posted here, and I try to make allowance for your being in Poland, so I assume that English is not your mother tongue.

But PLEASE stop posting statements such as the above which are both easily proved to be false AND liable to put beginners with less knowledge than yourself off scrolling completely. :mad:

You may well have found pinned blades to be very far from ideal, especially when you're producing that very fine fretwork mentioned above. But you just CANNOT say that, for example, that very attractive children's ceiling mobile that you posted here about a week or so ago could not have been produced using pinned blades. It most definitely could, and I believe you know that. But you have reached such a high level of scrolling skill yourself that you cannot imagine yourself struggling with pinned blades again.

OK fair enough Dominik, I can well understand that attitude, but with replies like the above you are completely failing to put yourself in the shoes of a beginner like the OP here.

AND you have done exactly that several times before in similar posts! So DO please stop doing that, you could well be putting off beginners for life.

With respect

I would agree with the last post on pinned blades, and would just add that there are pinned blades and then there are pinned blades ;-)

The generic variety sold in DIY stores and often via ebay etc (for example Silverline) are rather agricultural compared to say Pegas pinned blades which are much finer

I used pinned blades for over a year, mainly as I was new to scroll sawing and bought a new saw that would only take pinned blades, I tried various ways of adapting it but the end result was it would cost far to much to adapt the saw I had against buying another saw

One further advantage to using plain end or pinless blades over pinned blades is the cost, pinned blades cost roughly double what pinless do, something to keep in mind for the long term

The link I posted to are the correct blades for the machine (a Grizzly clone from the 80's) that the OP has. It is designed as is to use pinned 165mm blades, which are standard coping saw blades in the link. Axi pinless blade holders can be fitted to it to give a much better access to better and wider rand of blades. You can get more info from this old UKW thread:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/parts-for-naerok-ss16-scroll-saw.88867/

The link I posted to are the correct blades for the machine (a Grizzly clone from the 80's) that the OP has. It is designed as is to use pinned 165mm blades, which are standard coping saw blades in the link. Axi pinless blade holders can be fitted to it to give a much better access to better and wider rand of blades. You can get more info from this old UKW thread:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/parts-for-naerok-ss16-scroll-saw.88867/

You may be right but all others I have come across where they asked for or had coping saw blades fitted, turned out to be bog standard scroll saws that someone had fitted a coping saw blade to

I photo of the saw would help greatly to establish the type and possibility of fitting the Axi clamps

Well, he hasn't been back since to comment. So we'll just have to wait and see if he posts one

Hi Everyone, appreciate the feedback and thoughts! , I've been a little out of the loop with work and as such, I've not had much time to check the replies here

Appreciate the comments on pinned vs unpinned - at present, I think what Ill mostly be using it for is some very simple cuts and perhaps some template making with the plan to use the templates for router trimming - So perhaps using it with very think ply or something along those lines. But all in all, for the £10 I paid for it im pretty happy.

I did pick up some cheap pinned blades from B&Q (thanks Droogs for confirming I needed copping saw blades). The blades themselves are "fine" but Im now that I know you can get better Ill order some today and see how it goes.

The saw itself does need a bit of a cleanup, and Ill get to that at some point... strangly I quite enjoy cleaning old tools! but here are some photos :)

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Back