Scroll or band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustic Mike

Established Member
Reaction score
I don’t know which ti invest in as I can only do one, but have had no experience of either, would you buy a scroll saw or a bandsaw, and if a scroll saw I wondered what you think to these, but why the big price difference, obviously it’s the quality

Attachments

• 3E2AED44-E9A6-4286-BF05-0BB9AB9CA3C8.png
    3E2AED44-E9A6-4286-BF05-0BB9AB9CA3C8.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 12
I don’t know which ti invest in as I can only do one, but have had no experience of either, would you buy a scroll saw or a bandsaw, and if a scroll saw I wondered what you think to these, but why the big price difference, obviously it’s the quality

I've got both Mike and I use my bandsaw far, far, more often than the scroll saw. But it all depends on what kind of woodwork you do obviously.

For me though, I could manage without my scroll saw, but my bandsaw? Never!

I've got both Mike and I use my bandsaw far, far, more often than the scroll saw. But it all depends on what kind of woodwork you do obviously.

For me though, I could manage without my scroll saw, but my bandsaw? Never!
Could I cut out shapes and are they easy to set up, that big springy bade looks quite scary, I’ve got a jigsaw which I use a lot, I bought the Bosch and use it quite a lot

Attachments

• 77F10333-53C2-4FE4-BDB2-2AFF66CCA1F3.png
    77F10333-53C2-4FE4-BDB2-2AFF66CCA1F3.png
    344.5 KB · Views: 3
If you can give an idea of the sorts of projects you want to make then it'll help narrow down the selection.

I tend to see a band saw as an essential and a scroll saw as occasionally useful, but if I was doing intarsia it'd be the other way round.

You can do shapes on either, but a scroll saw suits more delicate work, cutting out internal shapes is easier too (just my opinion).

Bandsaws are a bit scary - but certainly the tool of choice in your original question. Setting up and using a bandsaw safely needs some knowledge, seek advice/tuition before using the machine.

Back