Scroll Chuck advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spence

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been getting by with a fairly small record chuck for about a year now, unfortunately the internal gears have worn out. It wasn't in the best condition when I got it but it was only £10 so has served me well. I had planned on upgrading and have some cole jaws that should fit a Record SC3 or Teknatool equivalent. Now that it's time to make a decision I find myself looking at other chucks and getting a little lost with all the options.

Would any owners of these chucks be able to provide some feedback as to the quality not only of the chuck but also of the range of jaws available?

Record SC3 3/4" x 16 tpi Currently £109 and I'm familiar and a fan of Record products.

Versachuck from Toolpost The Toolpost Versachuck with equivalent fittings to the SC3 would be close to £200.

Charnwood Viper2 Chuck, 3 sets of jaws and faceplate but only a smaller chuck body at £169. Larger chuck sets £200.

Other options are the Axminster Clubman or Sk100 but those are roughly £200 just for the chuck body with no jaws though no doubt they are excellent and I do love visiting my local Axminster only 50 miles away! :lol:

I think the Record SC3 looks like a good bet but I have seen very little of it online and very few reviews whereas many people have told me that the Versachuck is good. The Charnwood offering is mostly on there as my local DIY shop stocks their turning equipment so future additions would be easy.

I have the versa chuck from toolpost and the great thing is that I can buy carriers for many different manufacturers jaws so does not limit me to just one make so where one may make a certain jaw set I do not need to buy another chuck to use them( mind you having 4 chucks at the moment I don't think I need another)
As well as the benefit of the above I can buy a backplate if I ever upgrade my lathe to one with a different thread size.
It is, however, quite a heavy chuck so that is something to be aware of.

I have both the Record and Axi chucks and have had no issues with either although these days the SC3 is almost permanently fitted with pen blank jaws on my little Jet lathe so the SK100 is most used on my Axi lathe.

Hard to compare directly as sizes are different but I think the SK100 feels slightly better finished and smoother gearing, there's also a bigger range of add on jaws.

I'm shocked at that price even though I bought mine a few years ago it was no-where near that and the C jaws came as part of the package. Might have been a deal I can't remember.

I've no experience of any of the others.

Dalboy":m42uon97 said:
I have the versa chuck from toolpost and the great thing is that I can buy carriers for many different manufacturers jaws so does not limit me to just one make so where one may make a certain jaw set I do not need to buy another chuck to use them( mind you having 4 chucks at the moment I don't think I need another)
As well as the benefit of the above I can buy a backplate if I ever upgrade my lathe to one with a different thread size.

Yes the weight is something I need to be aware of, I only have a 3/4" x 16tpi which is does the job but I want to avoid undue strain on the spindle and the bearings as it's over 20 years old now. I think the SC3 will probably be the one I select and probably what I will end up selling the lathe with one day rather than keeping. Ideally, I'd have a new lathe with the giant M33 x 3.5mm threads that seem standard now.

I use mine on a 3/4 X 16 with no problems but it is a CL3 not a mini lathe

20200106_151504 (768x1024).jpg

Attachments

• 20200106_151504 (768x1024).jpg
    20200106_151504 (768x1024).jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 290
The SC3 is a 90mm with a hollow body, making it lightweight (the SC4 is 100mm & has a solid body). The key has to pass through a hole in the side.

Can't comment on the Versachuck but from everything I've read & heard, it has a good reputation.

The Viper 2 is only 70mm. IMO it will have the same disadvantages as the chuck you are using & you will probably regret not buying a larger one.

My one minor quibble with the SC3 is that the key requires precise alignment, which sometimes requires jiggling, to get it to mesh. Other than that it's a brilliant chuck. Also because it comes with standard jaws, a wood screw & a faceplate ring it's by far the best value. The downside is that it's direct threaded so if in the future you upgrade your lathe & it has different threads you would have to get another chuck or use it with a thread adaptor.

My post on woodturning chucks
- https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/wood ... 76139.html

I agree with Robbo that the key often needs 'jiggling', the corollary of that being that once it's in it's in - good and straight and you can apply a lot of force without it rocking out of place.

I can't help with comparisons, but I do have the SC3 with the luxury of 3 sets of jaws - standard 50 (it come with those) standard 35 and pin (not pen) - and I am very happy with it. Does the job and feels nicely made - that sort of intangible quality you get in good stuff.

Dalboy":orgsomom said:

yes Delboy i got the versa chuck as well for all the above reasons and agree with you well made, and i worked out i was the cheapest way to go in the long run, also versa chuck jaws are cheaper than axminsters, love it and now sure i made the right choice

Back