Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anybody help with identifying these?

IMG_20190718_203156__01.jpg
IMG_20190718_203137__01.jpg

Well, I know what they are and the size. They are M4 X 12mm socket screws that I have rounded over the sockets with. The head is not a countersink, it is much more of a wedge shape. The socket is a size smaller than normal, I think it is 2.5mm but I didn't look at the hex key I picked up.

They are from a record rp2000 chuck.

What do I search for or are they proprietary?

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_203137__01.jpg
    IMG_20190718_203137__01.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_20190718_203156__01.jpg
    IMG_20190718_203156__01.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 670
No idea what they are, but have you tried asking Record Power?
Depending on the arrangement, an alternative to finding new screws of the same type may be to countersink the hole to a more conventional angle. May not be practical, but worth considering.
Duncan

they are not torx, they are definitely hex.

Looks like I will have to give Record a call. I was being cheap and hoping to pay a couple of quid, rather than probably a fiver. either way it isn't going to break the bank.

I have 4 sets of jaws, and each takes 2 screws, so it isn't worth changing to countersink.

I will measure it, but it was bigger. I have a feeling that it won't fit into some of the jaw sets.

record want £20 with the postage!

it certainly will. it has lasted a few years, but I have always used a decent hex key on it, so not sure how it has happened.

I will probably wait until I need something else and order at the same time. there was £7 of postage within the price.

I have some (50 :D ) 12mm x 4mm ht countersunk set screws I got for spares for my Nova - the heads are are very slightly too big, and just needed the circumference rolling around on a grinding wheel to fit. If yours are anything like the same size I'll send you some.

thanks Phil. I bought some countersunk ones, so assuming that they are a standard size, I have some. When you use all of yours, I have another 20 before you need to purchase more!

I will look and see whether the grinder would work. it maybe that I only really need to replace a couple. no expense in trying it anyway.

Look for "carbide insert screws". There are a number of types with the sharper angle like the ones you show. If there is a machine tooling supplier near you they should have or be able to get the correct ones so you don't have to play with modifications to the heads.

Pete

I have had a bit of a look, they might be 60 degree countersunk bolts. Only example of which I could find from a quick search is http://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/steelcsk60.html which are BA threads rather than metric. May be worth contacting that company though with measurements and picture, as £20 for a few bolts is excessive.

Clamp the thread in a battery drill chuck and spin it against either a bench grinder or angle grinder. Takes seconds to adjust one and comes out with a pretty decent finish.

Surely RP would be buying these for pennies from somewhere :| £20 for a few screws seems extortionate.

Back