screws for chipboard and mdf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micks

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all i was making a draw to sit under my workbench using offcuts of melamine faced chipboard, just buttjointed using glue and zinc coated chipboard screws 4mmX40,

found the scews did not grip well in chipboard, i had some black screws that originally came supplied with an old kitchen unit , these worked ok .

browsing in local homebase for something simular could not find any suitable screws, looked on screwfix site can only find stainless ones that are costly,

is there a special name for these chipbord screws and a source please.

thank you

I found an image of some Confirmat screws.
confirmat_screw.jpg

One thing I've found useful is after predrilling the parts, disassemble them and drilla little countersink on the mating surfaces. This prevents the "squeeze out" of material from jack the parts away from each other.

Glues don't work well with MFC unless you also use dowels or biscuits. I've found buscuits together with the black Powerdrive screws from Screwfix to give really solid joints.

I use the powerdrives that Andy linked to, they bite very well.

Use a CSK 4mm clearance hole and a 3mm pilot especially if using 15mm contiboard rather than 18mm MFC.

Jason

thanks all the black powerdrive screws at screwfix seem to be the ones i am after, i found some in local diy shop but they were refered too as cabinate screws,

Black carcass screws or Spax - both work well in MFC and chipboard

Scrit

Back