Screwfix ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Anybody heard any rumours about Screwfix Direct ?
Wanted to put in a re-order but they are not taking any orders online or by phone. Have they gone bust ?

Screwfix seem to have run into problems in their move to a new warehouse and updating the computer system. They are part of the Kingfisher group who recently reported improved profits - including the Screwfix operation so I dont think they have gone bust. However, their delivery performance and quality of service has deteriated over the past months. Maybe its got so bad they are having to stop taking orders to clear their back log or until they get their system and procedures corrected.

I think it's a 'no more orders until we can cope properly' move...

Hope so. Good prices, and previously excellent service.

I placed an order on Monday evening for some building items. Two parcels arrived yesterday, 1of 2 & 2 of 2. An invoice in one of them indicated that the other items would be sent to me in another dispatch(s). I then tried the online order tracker only to find the message that you've all found. Fingers crossed it is just a blip - they should have stayed in Yeovil! I did raise a query at the time of the order re their continued inability to be able to supply their expanding foam. I had a phone message from them yesterday apologizing for the problem, which is due, they say, to the suppliers inability to keep up with the demand.

Cheers, David

Just to add to the confusion, I got a new catalogue from them in the post today!

woodshavings":s4zwye8v said:
Their Website has now made it clear that they are catching up with back orders and should return to normal Sunday evening.
They came back for a while then closed down again.
Came back but only for a small number of people. Now closed again.
They should have made sure they could get employees at the new depot after sacking over 500 at Yeovil when they moved.
The BBC finally found the reason for the delivery problems at Screwfix.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3686404.stm

Why did South Somerset Council oppose Screwfix building a new warehouse in the area. Does anyone know ?
Surely this would have kept the existing jobs and provided more employment as well.

Seems somebody was totally incompetent - what a screw up! - can't help wondering if it was the curse of the beannies looking to squeeze an extra point or so without understanding the business.

I have a feeling it was the local residents that objected, but the feeling was that Screwfix was just looking for any excuse to move. I may well be recalling inaccurately though, so don't quote me.

Cheers, Alf

A quick search on the SSDC planning dept website shows the following:

Application Valid Date: 13 September 2001 Decision Date: 17 December 2001
Parish: East Coker Application: 0102386OUT
Ward: COKER Area: SOUTH
Officer: Mark Pollock (NEW ROLE) (01935) 462708
Agent: Boon Brown Partnership The Coach House Penn Hill Yeovil Somerset BA20 1SF
Applicant: Screwfix Direct Ltd Mead Avenue Houndstone Business Park Yeovil Somerset BA22 8RT
Location: Land North Of Key Farm Dorchester Road Yeovil Somerset
Proposal: The construction of a new business complex comprising of a distribution warehouse, office accommodation, telephone call centre, including ancillary service yards and associated car parking (GR552/136)
Decision: Application Withdrawn
Application Valid Date: 17 July 2001 Decision Date: 24 September 2001
Parish: Brympton Application: 0101889OUT
Ward: BRYMPTON Area: SOUTH
Officer: Mark Pollock (NEW ROLE) (01935) 462708
Agent: Boon Brown Partnership The Coach House Penn Hill Yeovil Somerset BA20 1SF
Applicant: Screwfix Direct Ltd Mead Avenue Houndstone Business Park Yeovil Somerset BA22 8RT
Proposal: The construction of a business complex comprising of a distribution warehouse, office accommodation, telephone call centre together with ancillary service yards and associated car parking (GR 521/169)
Decision: Application Withdrawn

They're a bit old, but no more recent application for a new warehouse etc. is listed. My guess is that they applied twice for the complex, were told that they'd never get it and withdrew the application rather than bother having it turned down. There were probably further discussions with the planners all to no avail so they moved. This is all guesswork, but based on what seems to go on around here (Cambourne) which is a completely new settlement with lots of planning stuff happening...

Hi all

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they were having trouble with the planning consent and then they decided that if they moved to the midlands that they could actually provide a next day service.

The message given out on their web site recently was always quoting their next day service.

Cheers
Neil

Well I ordered from them yesterday and got my delivery today at 10am. On top of that, I phoned to say I had ordered one thing incorrectly (my fault) and that one thing was as good as useless (some damaged screw removers). They refunded me for the lot and don't even want the stuff back! Unbelievable customer service - as good as it's always been. I do hope they sort out their problems.

Cheers

Gidon

Greetings,

This has been in the business sections of several papers recently (including the Telegraph) - they have had trouble recruiting enough staff for the new warehouse (in/near Stoke IIRC) and such a backlog of orders built up that they decided to stop taking new orders until the backlog could be cleared.

Sounds like the HR Director should be shot - but then you can say that about most HR Directors :)

As a local to Yeovil perhaps I can shed some light on why Screwfix moved.
They applied for planning permission to build on the edge of town. unfortunately they would have been about a mile away from one of the more expensive and desirable villages and these villagers (who include a well known TV actor and also a lady something or other) objected to the sight of a warehouse roof spoiling there view ! I guess that no-one from the village actually lost their job at Screwfix so it was a case of NIMBY (not in my own back yard). Screwfix relocated to the midlands where they already had a warehouse. Local council fails again !
History lesson: Screwfix were started by a chap who swept up discarded screws and bolts from a factory floor, sorted, bagged and resold them. He allegedly sold the firm for 60 million quid and now owns a controlling share in Yeovil Town FC. Rumour has it that he also now owns Toolstation who have recently opened a place in Yeovil and are doing as well as or better than Screwfix (locally).

Looks like Screwfix problems are persisting - I tried to order some items this evening and the website was moving really slowly (and I have Broadband). Eventually got a note saying due to large amount of traffic they couldnt deal with my order.
Looks like I'll have to stop off at one of the DIY sheds.
MMD.

Their site goes down on a daily basis.
Many of us use their forum but that is always down when they shut the site down.
Pity they werent separate like most forums are.

Having read this thread I'm just glad that I did my buying a while ago. I do have the highest regard for Screwfix even though I have had my share of problems. To respond specifically to one of the points raised, true, they did use to advertise Next Day Delivery but they now state at the point of checkout that you might not get next day. Also I think that they may put in a time/date factor now (after I moaned long and hard and complained to Trading Standards) since if you placed an order on Thursday very close to the 6pm watershed then you proabably would not get your goods until Monday and their system was not sufficiently smart to ask if you wanted to pay a bit extra to get it there on saturday.

Again, most times, I get the stuff next day and so I can't really complain. I think their Customer Service is first rate.

What I think may have happened is that their IT systems got overloaded with the back orders as, of course will their email and phone system. It's not rocket science to work out what is happening up there then. The longer the delays, the more people will be ringing to complain or sending emails to be answered ..and because we expect a fast response, we complain again and again because we can't get through on the phone..and then when we do we spend the first several minutes moaning at the porr Customer servcie rep..which just adds to their workload...which pulls people off of doing what they'd like to do which is ship stuff...but then they haven't got the staff yet ! Or did they just make the cardinal sin of installing a new computer system at the same time?

Since I started this Thread I have received 2 deliveries from Screwfix and both have been received NEXTDAY. Which is suprising, as at the moment, good old Royal Mail "First class" is taking at least 2 days to arrive.
Have`nt had the same postman on 2 consecutive days for months.

Back