screwfix woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else noticed problems with screwfix, almost every time I go in there (which sends to be a lot recently) one or more of the items I wanted are out of stock, really starting to get on my teets, to the point where I am thinking about stopping using them. No point in having a catalogue full of stuff if none of it is in stock! :evil: rant over

Same here, staff are really helpful but stock levels are woeful.

I have to say that I noticed a big change when B&Q started to push Trade Point more seriously. They are the same outfit and both outlets will ship to each other to fulfil short shipments which whilst helpful sometimes kind of spreads them a bit too thin now.

I've been lucky with stock availability locally in the last few weeks with various projects on the go, probably just luck or lack of it depending on what you want perhaps?

I do tend to go to Toolstation first though as they can be a bit cheaper, but they don't have as much range of some stuff and their website is seriously lacking in decent information on some lines, Screwfix website is much more informative I find and the reviewer comments there can sometimes be useful too.

Tend to avoid the local Wickes unless desperate though as their prices are often ridiculous by comparison.

Lucky to have a fair bit of choice locally I guess.

Cheers, Paul

I've never been into a trade point and come out with what I wanted. I've stopped using them they are a joke.

Woodmonkey":3ipra2cf said:
Anyone else noticed problems with screwfix, almost every time I go in there (which sends to be a lot recently) one or more of the items I wanted are out of stock, really starting to get on my teets, to the point where I am thinking about stopping using them. No point in having a catalogue full of stuff if none of it is in stock! :evil: rant wover

It's the same for me, but the ever helpful staff tell me, "we will have it in tomorrow", I always reply, "but I need it now".

Baldhead

Agree that the Toolstation website could be better, but I called their helpline with a query (about the dimensions of a product). The guy I spoke to was very helpful, and called me back promptly with the info once he'd been down to the stockroom.

I always check the stock in the local store first on their website nowadays. There are a few Screwfix around me, (Gloucester, Yate and Bristol) so, more often than not, one will have everything in stock that I need.

I have a toolstation locally as well, they are very cheap but a lot of their stuff (silverline for example) is just pure excrement, use it once and chuck it away sort of thing, would rather pay a bit more and get something fit for purpose.

There are 4 or 5 screwfix counters in Bristol now and more often than not they will all be out of stock of whatever it is I want.

Might explain why they are doubling the size of their distribution centre in Trentham. Ready by this summer - not much use to you now though.

Screwfix near me reports no stock for some of the things I've needed lately. So they have fallen off my list of go to suppliers

I've used the Toolstation in Torquay a lot and it's only once an item I wanted was out of stock. Recently Screwfix have opened right opposite Toolstation so interesting to see if a little bit of competition sharpens their business. However Screwfix don't offer free drinks like Toolstation which is handy if you have to wait.

Regards Keith

Woodmonkey":37vi9xxl said:
Anyone else noticed problems with screwfix, almost every time I go in there (which sends to be a lot recently) one or more of the items I wanted are out of stock, really starting to get on my teets, to the point where I am thinking about stopping using them. No point in having a catalogue full of stuff if none of it is in stock! :evil: rant over
Don't make the trip without checking stock online at your local store first...

I always check local stock and grab the night before on the way home if I can. Also trade at b and q sometimes Joe public prices are cheaper as you don't know price till you get to the till.

Nearest screwfix to me is 48 miles away, nearest Toolstation involves a ferry trip to Scotland :roll:

I must admit I've noticed Screwfix have been really short on stock for the last 18 months, it used to be the case I could pick up almost anything I wanted immediately. I try and use Toolstation as much as I can now though, they are a fraction cheaper and the staff are all friendly and helpful, not words you could use to describe the local Screwfix staff.

What really irritates me with Screwfix is because I live in France I can't order something to be collected from a store when I am visiting the UK. Neither can I go into a store an buy anything as they insist I open an account with a UK postcode. This means I can't buy anything that they wont ship to France which is over half their range. I can't understand why I can't just go into a shop and buy something for cash or a UK credit card. Don't have this trouble at Tescos :)

toolstations great cause free delivery is only after spending 10 quid- it would cost more than that in hassle and fuel !

Back