Screwfix, what an utter pain in the proverbial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can really sympathise with you. It think it's nothing to do with Screwfix . It's more that you had something you REALLY needed to achieve, then all these problems start to prevent you from achieving that goal. Happens to me all the time. My computer is very very reliable, until there is something I really need to get done, then some really stupid thing happens and a long chain of seemingly chaotic events occur to stop me. It drives me crazy!! lol
To their credit, I have had no real problems with Screwfix or Toolstation, but I always order click and collect. I wouldn't turn up on spec hoping to find something under the current situation. I have had problems with ordering and called their help line and have had excellent service. Got through quickly and the problem sorted really quickly. Their web site is a bit slow and I have a strange issue where I don't see true stock levels, but I have so many cookie blockers, I guess that is the problem.
Even if we have problems with these retailers. I can remember back to the days before them. There is no way I could get some obscure DIY part at 2PM on a Sunday afternoon. Some staff seem to be ex trade and very helpful. Others are just order processors and have no idea, but that's OK. I don't expect the counter staff to know lots about every product.

Sounds like you’re having problems with the modern world. Maybe find a nice little hardware store with a bloke in a brown coat to help you from the other side of the counter and wrote you a receipt on carbon paper?

How ironic you’re complaining about it on the internet which you could have used to order, pay for and arrange collection/delivery at your convenience.
You mean somewhere like Wylie’s in Warwick. This is how I remember it. You could buy individual screws, came wrapped in brown paper.

AFB4D821-F67C-45CC-A556-F031DAECF4C0.jpeg

Now a cafe but apparently it is a listed building and internal fixtures need listed building consent to change. It is an upmarket cafe, I might go there assuming it has survived lockdown.

Unbelievable.
Screwfix, Toolstation et al are set up for people who know what they want.
Maybe next time ring Amazon and ask them for advice.
Maybe you should have read my post before jumping up and starting your tantrum.
I gave them a piece of paper with the details on it.

Brads. Series, gauge, length
Staples, series, gauge, length
I even gave them the makers name. Tacwise.
The counter staff have computers in front of them.

I mean what else do you think they need ?. A part number , or someone to hold their hand and help them through it.

Have to admire Jon and Mark Goddard-Watts, buys a small mail order company selling screws advertising in exchange and mart. (I think I ordered some screws from him). Expands it using the internet to screwfix, takes on a partner who funds further expansion, opening retail outlets then sells out to the partner, earning a fortune. He then starts toolstation, mostly mail order, in general undercutting screwfix on price and repeats the partner process and makes another fortune.

Yes, they need the part number or order number. That is how they are set up. :)

You take a total punt as to whether you have a wasted trip if you don't pre-order. I would be cross that I didn't check on line first, rather than being cross with Screwfix. Unless, of course I was using it as an excuse to pop to McDonalds as well.

Did you try Amazon Prime as they have loads of TacWise staples on their site. It is my go-to supplier for a lot of workshop stuff and sometimes cheaper than Toolstation or Screwfix, and delivered next day.
Im not with amazon. Ebay is my usual. I just picked screwfix because its in a residential area near me, and id already tried b&q and homebase.

Yes, they need the part number or order number. That is how they are set up. :)

You take a total punt as to whether you have a wasted trip if you don't pre-order. I would be cross that I didn't check on line first, rather than being cross with Screwfix. Unless, of course I was using it as an excuse to pop to McDonalds as well.

I did check their site, but its brads and staples. Pretty much sold by the billion. But my fault for not checking 'local stock'
Might be how they are 'set up' , but it doesnt say that anywhere on their website. Although that said I guess theres something deep in the terms and conditions. But are you really expected to go hunting for details you didnt know exist :unsure:
Or it it 'common knowledge' which hardly applies as i dont use screwfix.

I think most of the outrage mob are unhappy because i've drawn a poor review of their toilet reading material.

You mean somewhere like Wylie’s in Warwick. This is how I remember it. You could buy individual screws, came wrapped in brown paper.

View attachment 110427

Now a cafe but apparently it is a listed building and internal fixtures need listed building consent to change. It is an upmarket cafe, I might go there assuming it has survived lockdown.

.... very much like Laceys nearby in Stratford-upon-Avon - run by two very helpful, but miserable as sin, brothers - sadly the rent (and Robert "spit" Dyas opening in the town) got the better of them and it's now a Vison Express store.

We used to have a few of these little ironmongers, but since shut up shop, which is a pain as the old guys running them knew every nut,bolt and screw. Now we appear reliant on someone who doesnt know their own stock, and a computerized system that needs more than an actual description to identify it.

Little ironmongers are a treasure trove, as they have things long vanished. I got an estwing weight forward hammer a couple of years ago. You see 2nd hand ones on ebay at 80-100 quid as theyre quite sought after. The local ironmongers price - £29.99 original retail price. Bargain :D

the difference between a TVR3 and a TVR4 is TVR1!! easy!!!
Very good. There is a joke about cars in there somewhere, I should have said TRV3 and TRV4. She actually got rid of an awkward customer asking difficult questions by giving a factually correct answer and it still amuses me.

My only issue with Screw Fix is the mis-match between the stock they have and the stock they claim on their web site. Get the local branch phone number to check, then I have always found the staff very helpful. It probably varies from branch to branch but the two I use Rugby and Wellingborough have always been good.
Well Ozi, it seems you and I share similar issues. We're in Birmingham and there are 3 Screwfix stores within 5 miles. However, trying to find a store where they are actually stocking the item you want/need is like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack. In addition, I can't understand when one has been given a GIFT VOUCHER, one cannot spend it via the web. Oh no, you have to go to a store and hope that when it has said it has STOCK of the item/s you wish to spend the gift voucher on actually has it! Grrr.

... and don't think that bloody woodworking forum with your make believe friends will get you any sympathy!
She was right! Some of us had to work through it (it's a bit difficult to take a 150 year old mill home with you - it won"t fit on the bus and you can't get it to go through the turnstiles on the train). In any case it wouldn't have made much difference - about 3 weeks into lockdown our local SFX ran out of anything even remotely useful!

I may be fortunate but my local screwfix are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Quick service and never any issues. They have a lot of stock on hand, like others I will generally order ahead of time and collect later, when I do a click and collect order they're usually ready in about 20 minutes. I can't say anything but good things about my local screwfix. B and Q on the other hand are useless.

Catalogue number, yes. See almost every previous post :rolleyes:
Where does it say that you need to supply a part number when shopping at screwfix. ? :unsure: Certainly nothing on the website for the casual user.
:rolleyes:
I’m off to the Post Office to demand the cashier’s help composing a letter
Is it the big words you find difficulty with ?.

Last edited:
Around 6pm this evening I realised I needed a couple of extra things for a job I'm doing tomorrow so ordered and paid for them online from Screwfix. Dropped my son off at football training at 6:30 and carried on to Screwfix to collect my order then back to see the end of his training. Don't know how we used to manage without the convenience of Screwfix and Toolstation.

I’m lucky, two screw fix stores within 2 miles of home, if one hasn’t got stock the other usually has though I always click & collect pointless making a wasted journey even if they are so close.

Well Ozi, it seems you and I share similar issues. We're in Birmingham and there are 3 Screwfix stores within 5 miles. However, trying to find a store where they are actually stocking the item you want/need is like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack. In addition, I can't understand when one has been given a GIFT VOUCHER, one cannot spend it via the web. Oh no, you have to go to a store and hope that when it has said it has STOCK of the item/s you wish to spend the gift voucher on actually has it! Grrr.

Tip: I've done this . . . order the item you want online and pay for it with card - when it's at the shop collect it, hand it straight back for an instant refund and then buy it with your voucher - simples, if stupid that you have to resort to that.

Back