Screwfix, what an utter pain in the proverbial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need some brads, 15mm and 20mm, and the same sizes in narrow gauge staples, and theres a screwfix not to far away. Was at B&Q yesterday- no narrow staples, but I wanted to check the exact series for a tacwise 191 el pro gun.
So this morning i ride down. About 40 mins round trip.

Took me 5 mins to describe to the bloke on the counter what exactly brads were :oops: and he spent another 10 minutes looking on his slow as a pentium 3 computer and in the end found they had nothing, for tacwise brand, and another 5 minutes to see if dewalt had anything.
Feeling a bit exacerbated by now I told him, well staples are more important as it's for a small packing crate(send some carbon mtb forks, safer in a crate than a box)
Back to the slowest computer on earth, and again he didnt exactly know which staples i needed, even though I'd given him a piece of paper with the gauge and series on(18G series 91) seemed to think it was a single staple you hammered in. :oops::oops: I actually had to use their catalog to show him what they were , page, part number etc.
Came away with nowt. No brads, no staples. Utter waste of time. They said I could order them, I said I can do that online, but would have thought a company such as screwfix would keep millions of the things in stock as they're a popular item.
Now last night I could have ordered them on ebay, but no, I needed them pretty much for today, and ordering them it would probably be Thursday morning/afternoon, but if I get them quicker I can assemble the crate and be ready to post them that same day. I stupidly thought screwfix would have them if b&q and homebase didnt, Wishing I had ordered them now, but this now likely means I'll not see any order till Monday, and promised I'd get the forks in the post before the weekend.

I'll be adding them to the - useless seller list and not look to that company to fill an order or use them to buy anything. Pathetic.

I would not expect to go into Screwfix without having the order code to hand.

In fact, generally, I sit in the car park, submit a click and collect order from my phone, wait for the text, and then walk in and pick it up.

I would not expect the cashier in Argos to do anything other than tap in numbers and tell me where to swipe my card either.

(This is assuming Argos still exists!)

The customer is expected to find the things in the catalogue themselves, then record the numbers.

My understanding is that Screwfix employees are there to take your piece of paper with numbers on, fetch the items, then take payment. They are not there to give advice or find stuff for you. If I had been behind you in the queue, I might have been a bit miffed.

I get your irritation, but you can check local branch stock online before you go.

Edit - cross post with @julianf who has said exactly the same. I almost added in the Argos analogy too.

Sorrry but if triton was in front of me in the queue I'd end up with boiled pish.............
Yes, I was once behind an old lady in Screwfix who didn’t understand how it worked. She dropped a grotty rad valve on the desk and asked the cashier to fetch a suitable replacement.

To his credit, he helped her out, but it took about three ice ages. By the time my turn came, I had read every single option on the coffee machine, and most of the packaging on the display items.

Saturday morning, circa 1995, chap comes into the glass shop with a fag packet with dimensions scribbled on. I cut him a piece of 4mm plate to the measurements he gave me.
Half an hour later he's back, calling me all sorts for not cutting to the measurements, so I got the steel rule and show him it's spot on. After he calms down a bit I ask him what he used to measure the window: 'the wife's sewing tape that the dog chewed the end of' :rolleyes:
Not relevant to the op but reading about the old lady took me back.

Saturday morning, circa 1995, chap comes into the glass shop with a fag packet with dimensions scribbled on. I cut him a piece of 4mm plate to the measurements he gave me.
Half an hour later he's back, calling me all sorts for not cutting to the measurements, so I got the steel rule and show him it's spot on. After he calms down a bit I ask him what he used to measure the window: 'the wife's sewing tape that the dog chewed the end of' :rolleyes:
Not relevant to the op but reading about the old lady took me back.
I once dropped in to our glass shop and left dimensions of 36 @ 60 x 200. Got a call saying they didn't have enough glass in stock ......................... thought about it for 5 seconds and then realised they must work in CM, me in mm. Lucky they called me

This guy was definitely inches and 16ths! Used to get quite a few diyers who would use whatever gave a whole number, certainly kept you on your toes

Wots with the postcode and invoice system...why can't you just walk in and pay cash etc without having to give personal information..

Wots with the postcode and invoice system...why can't you just walk in and pay cash etc without having to give personal information..

Probably not. But it also means you don't need to keep any paperwork for returns, as it's all on the system.

Screwfix are great! Only go in when I know what I want. That's what the catalogues are for. Since Covid I order on my phone then i get pinged often its minutes later. All paid, invoices online and all totally contact less, so easy and a joyful service. You also know stock levels too to avoid a wasted journey. Trepsing through a DIY shop is tedious.

Sounds like you’re having problems with the modern world. Maybe find a nice little hardware store with a bloke in a brown coat to help you from the other side of the counter and wrote you a receipt on carbon paper?

How ironic you’re complaining about it on the internet which you could have used to order, pay for and arrange collection/delivery at your convenience.

I wouldn't expect advice or expert knowledge from screwfix/toolstation etc. The staff are great in my view, but they are really order processors, not trade professionals.
As others are saying above, even though my. nearest SF is only about 2 miles away, I never go there (or even to the adjacent Wickes) without first checking stock online and often click and collecting it.
I did recently click and collect some weird sized bolts (M5x60mm I think) from B&Q, as they were the only ones showing stock, and on arrival was told sorry, we haven't got any!

My only issue with Screw Fix is the mis-match between the stock they have and the stock they claim on their web site. Get the local branch phone number to check, then I have always found the staff very helpful. It probably varies from branch to branch but the two I use Rugby and Wellingborough have always been good.

Latest posts

Back