screwfix prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Went looking for 914x100mm sanding belts for my new sander.

Screwfix price 120 grit £1.65 each
Other trade suppliers £1.17 each

Screwfix on their web page show trade prices ticked on the banner.

Do members subtract a discount from their catalogue orders to obtain
this?
Or are Screwfix prices uncompetetive?

ive noticed thier prices creeping up over the past 18months

I would agree the prices are creeping up, but I don't know of any other supplier that can compete with their range. I must admit though that I only use them for hardware supplies, never tooling.

I hadn't used them for about 8 months when I ordered some new light fittings and tubes for the workshop. Fittings were fine, but tube box contained only broken glass. Not marked fragile or anything. Second delivery was fine but since then they have tried to deliver three more lots of tubes (unasked for or needed!) In each case the tubes were smashed to bits.

Seems to me that they are probably wasting quite a lot of money in their logistics system and possibly trying to recoup it through price increases.

They are good for somethings - screwdriver bits/ screws and some fixings but you do have to pick and choose.

Cheers

Tim

Doing a few google searches, I've been unable to find a similar mail order company to screwfix. Does anyone use an alternative?

Freetochat":15h4obc6 said:
Doing a few google searches, I've been unable to find a similar mail order company to screwfix. Does anyone use an alternative?

Toolstation.com is similar - believe started by the same person who started screwfix.

Andrew

I was told recently that the family who started Screwfix were bought out by B&Q some time ago. Not sure how true it is, but it might account for the higher prices!

Screwfix were bought by the Kingfisher group (who are also the parent company of B&Q) about five years or so ago - so not directly owned by them,but part of the same group.
I still find them competitive/convenient for smaller stuff (screws,drill bits,hardware etc.) but buy bigger stuff elsewhere.

cambournepete":2s3mx11o said:
If their sanding belts are as poor quality as their velco discs then I wouldn't bother.

Pete (fed up ofscrewfix sanding discs flying across the garashop...)

I use a suede wire brush on the disk drive pad to clean up which seems to cure that problem for a while.
Richard Barry.com has got good prices for disks with free delivery if you quote ukworkshop I found.

I received a promotional email from Screwfix today offering the Arrow ET100 Nail Master for £24.99 giving a saving of over 40% off the list price of £42.99.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago from Screwfix for £19.99 (and it included a load of nails too)

I recommend being highly sceptical any of the great savings they claim

Toolstation is owned by the same person that started Screwfix. He had to sign an agreement not to start a rival business for I think it was either 3 or 5 years.

Anyhow! that time was up a while ago and he's back.
So here is the link to the site, not as big as Screwfix but it's growing every week.
They do a printed catalogue as well.

Hope this helps

Back