Screwfix is putting the thumbscrews on costs and features

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
I own a few of screwfix double tripod site lights, and yesterday a bought another one.

Upon putting the thing together I noticed a few subtle changes to my other ones.

1 the height of the tripod is about 500mm lower, the extending pole is the same, but the tripod cannot be set up correct, the tripod sits flat on the surface, this is absolutely useless as when your ground is uneven the tripod cannot rest on the tips of the legs.

This also means that I loose 500mm of height in the light. The current light is now 1300 to the centre of the light. Therefore the light is not able so light up a table surface. It will not flood the room with light as it is to low.

2 the old one had switches on each light, so I could individually switch one on or off. But it also means I can know only switch the light off by pulling out the plug, which as it is a work light could be very awkward as you have to walk first over to the socket or extension real to plug it in.

I think they have really screwed it up this time by taking some essential features out of this light just to save a few pennies. This is now no longer (in my eyes) a safe working light.

Untitled by mcluma, on Flickr

Untitled by mcluma, on Flickr

Screwfix like changing things about. I needed some extra bookcase strip supports because I hadn't allowed enough for the job. Thought I'd pop down with the packet that had the product code. No problem until I got them. Screwfix had changed them to a different style which didn't match the ones i had. Funny the reviews for the old ones were now showing on the new version :shock: . I ended up going to Toolstation to buy the matching type.

Blame the Chinese

The Chinese are just doing what the market wants - ie cheap and disposable. If people (ie companies like Screwfix) didn't buy it they wouldn't make it. The downward pressure on prices (and hence quality) comes from over here. Everyone's cutting price to the bone to compete with each other and you can't get something for nothing. So called 'race to the bottom'.

I've been caught out by this sort of thing with Screwfix recently - like hardware provided with crappy screws that break, thus making a simple job take twice as long. And to save what - 10p or something. Believe me I'd rather pay the extra 10p.... I try and avoid Screwfix now.

Take it back,
Seems reasonable that you thought you were buying the same product and it clearly isn't. Also they need to know it's not up to the job otherwise they will keep re ordering the inferior version.

but the Chinese are signing their own death warrant, manufacturing is returning to the UK because the Chinese labour costs are rising by some 12% pa due to the high level of manufacturing jobs and limited workforce, while ours are if anything falling due to the large unemployed sector looking for work.

It is high time this country got off its ass and started working for a living instead trying to magic revenue out of thin air by doing pineapple all and spending money we don't have.

Back